Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Free bees  (Read 1236 times)

Offline alflyguy

• House Bee
Free bees
« on: August 15, 2009, 02:42:10 pm »
When I went to the barn this morning there were bees everywhere. The barn is about 30 yards from my bees. They were mostly on the roof of the far side. I got stung in my mustash before i could get into the barn where I keep my bee suit. They was a bunch in a mound on the roof and I figured they had swarmed from one of my hives. Since I couldn't get to them I set up a deep hive body near where they were with a mixture old and new foundation and a little lemon grass oil. It looks like they have moved in. I checked my hives and none of them looks like they have lost any bees. Maybe I've caught a wild swarm. I'm going to start feeding them this afternoon. Any other suggestions to make them stay?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Free bees
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 06:51:02 pm »
I have found it best to just leave them alone for 3 to 5 days and let them get some brood going, it is harder for them to leave brood behind. Since you gave them some drqwn comb the queen can get right to work. I would feed them some syrup to give a little boost to get started.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Free bees
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:16:25 pm »
Lucky you!

If they moved in on their own, I would not worry about them leaving. I would feed.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

anything