Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SKUNKS  (Read 6264 times)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
SKUNKS
« on: October 01, 2007, 06:57:57 pm »
I have been haveing trouble with Skunks and Ants.I put some Boraic acid out mixed in Grape Jelly in a Jar and it looked like the Skunk took it and licked it clean.About 8 oz or so . do you think that Skunk got the Hershey's?

kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: SKUNKS
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 07:17:01 pm »
Carpet tack strips will deter those skunks.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 07:30:17 pm »
Add some aspirin and you'll be in business.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 07:43:33 pm »
What does aspirin do?
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 07:58:49 pm »
Add some aspirin and you'll be in business.

To the boraic acid or the tack strips?

Aspirin thins the blood so they bleed out
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline gunny

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 11:25:59 pm »
ExLax has been known to cause skunks to move to another part of the county.  Guess you could mix in some aspirin.

Offline crazyness

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 03:22:44 am »
Good thing i have my dogs to scare the skunks away

Offline gunny

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 07:41:08 am »
Good thing i have my dogs to scare the skunks away
Skunks ain't scared of dogs.

A dog/skunk encounter will result in your dog smelling pretty bad for a good long while.  Skunks are carriers of rabies, be sure your dogs are vacinated.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 07:41:54 am »
Usually the aspirin is crushed and mixed with a raw egg.  It kills the skunk.  It won't hurt dogs and cats usually aren't that interested in the egg.

But I prefer just to use top entrances and they leave my hives alone.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 11:14:25 am »
My mother's dog got in a fight with a skunk and got rabies. The vet said if you see a skunk in the day time it is a sure bet they have rabies.

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 09:54:03 am »
 speaking of skunks.I saw a big hole dug in my yard the other day and upon inspection I found that a yellow jacket nest had been dug up and made supper probably by a skunk. there was comb and dead yellow jackets laying all over.
The tack strips work well for coons also.
How many aspirins do you mix with the raw eggs ? We are infested with skunks around here and they multiply like crazy. If I can get rid of some without trapping them so much the better.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 02:03:00 am »
Jerry, that is horrible.  What happened to your mother's dog?  I hate to ask this, but was it lethal?  I don't know if I want the answer, but I must ask.  This is sad.

I think that if one sees a skunk in the daytime, there is indeed something wrong with this creature, they are nocturnal.  They don't wander during daytime.  Please tell me what happened to her dog.  I wish her well.

Have a wonderful day, Cindi.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 05:49:02 am »
Cindy calm down. It is just a dog. An animal just like the skunk. Why have such emotion for one animal and not the other?

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 07:06:30 am »
i never tried this but i bet some habenaros mixed with some raw egg will deter a skunk. it would keep me away.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 10:53:03 am »
Jerry, ha.  I see quite a big difference between a dog and a skunk, I kind of like this species of animal called dog.  They are kind of cute, most are friendly, and I really don't have to worry about a big stink!!!!  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 01:05:09 pm »
Randy,
Dont try it. They might like it and just keep coming back for more! :shock:

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 01:22:02 pm »
Randy,
Dont try it. They might like it and just keep coming back for more! :shock:
ha! maybe they will like it and then their stink bomb will not only smell bad but be like pepper spray.