Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: West Beetle Trap Not Working with Lime  (Read 4753 times)

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
West Beetle Trap Not Working with Lime
« on: August 18, 2007, 09:07:59 pm »
I installed the West Beetle Trap in my weak hive that has an issue with the beetles although not totally out of control yet.  Anyway, I put lime in it as many have suggested but I only found one beetle in it after week. 

I also watched a beetle crawl into the trap and crawl right back out.  I though the trap was supposed to keep the beetles from getting out. 

I removed the lime and put in mineral oil.

A few questions:

1.  Can I use something other than mineral oil.  It is quite expensive for somethink like this.

2.  I did not have any instructions with my trap.  Which way is the top supposed to to on.  flat side up or down.  I have the flat side down.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: West Beetle Trap Not Working with Lime
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 11:17:43 pm »
you can use vegitable oil and the flat side goes up i believe.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:20:39 am »
After a week, the trap only caugth a few beetles.  It seems that that beetles have somewhat disappeared.

Offline Erik T

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 02:02:14 pm »
you can use vegitable oil and the flat side goes up i believe.

Are you talking about the plastic grid?  Wouldn't you want the cuts in it with angles showing so the beetles can easily get in but not get back out?

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 02:21:07 pm »
I installed the West Beetle Trap in my weak hive that has an issue with the beetles although not totally out of control yet.  Anyway, I put lime in it as many have suggested but I only found one beetle in it after week. 

I also watched a beetle crawl into the trap and crawl right back out.  I though the trap was supposed to keep the beetles from getting out. 

I removed the lime and put in mineral oil.

A few questions:

1.  Can I use something other than mineral oil.  It is quite expensive for somethink like this.

2.  I did not have any instructions with my trap.  Which way is the top supposed to to on.  flat side up or down.  I have the flat side down.

the trap is designed to use oil, dont know what you mean by lime, you can use vegetable oil if you want, here is some info and a picture of how it goes together

Use this trap any time beetles are present. However since Small Hive Beetles (S.H.B.) are temperature sensitive it will be far more effective during late spring to fall when beetles are out of the cluster and most active. Directions Included with your West Beetle Trap are wooden spacers needed to modify your bottom board, to allow the honey bees to enter and exit the hive while the West Beetle Trap is in place. Before installing the West Beetle Trap, thoroughly clean and scrape, if necessary, any debris or burr comb from the bottom board that may interfere with the proper placement of the West Beetle Trap. It is critical that the trap is level before adding the vegetable oil. Place trap on bottom and fill 1/2 with oil, purchased separately. Place cover on trap. Do not pour oil through the trap cover, as any spilled oil may cause bee mortality. At this time you may reassemble your hive and start trapping beetles! Periodic cleaning of the traps is necessary. Check traps every 7-14 days. Tips The manipulation of your colony will disturb the S.H.B. hiding spots causing them to move around in the colony and find the trap sooner. Storage and Disposal After use, discard used oil in an approved manner. Clean traps and store away from direct sunlight and any pesticides.

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

anything