Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NuBee from California  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Honey

• Brood
NuBee from California
« on: May 13, 2012, 01:17:28 pm »
Hi All,
I'm a brand new bee gal.  Just getting started.  I grew up raising bees and harvesting honey, but this is my first go at it alone.  I'm a little overwhelmed with all the information and not totally certain where to start.  For instance, do I start by taking course, or beekeeping certificate program, or do I start with getting a hive....

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: NuBee from California
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 01:58:04 pm »
I'd start with a beginner course. No need for a certificate, but if that's all you can take go for it. From there, get your first hive and get rolling!

Welcome to the site!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 02:06:48 pm »
Yes it can be a little over whelming.  You can take a course, read books, read blogs, watch videos, join bee clubs or get bees.  Depending on your own situation, is which maybe best for you.  I missed a class last year, read and watched videos, joined a club, and ran across some bee hives for sale at an estate sale, and bought them.  I am still learning, but it has been fun while learning.  Good luck with whichever you decide.  I like wathing you tube videos, one was Kirk Anderson, backwards beekeeping.  Also for what the laws maybe in Ca.

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 03:09:15 pm »
Just go for it.  And welcome to the forum.

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 04:04:05 pm »
I am also just starting out. I took a day long class that was very informative and beneficial.

This forum was another great resource along with YouTube to see how some things were done.

Welcome to the forum and look forward to reading about your experiences.
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 05:54:15 pm »
If you grew up raising bees and harvesting honey, then you should be ready to go!

Get your bees and keep reading threads on this site and have fun with them.

Larry