Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Question  (Read 1587 times)

Offline c10250

• House Bee
Honey Question
« on: January 20, 2010, 12:36:03 pm »
I only harvested capped frames this year, but was still a little concerned that the honey might have a high moisture content.  The reason for my concern was that my honey seemed a bit thin.  It is delicious, sweet, but just a bit more runny than I'm used to. In some ways, I actually like it better this way.

It's been several months now, and there are absolutely no signs of fermentation, so I have that going for me.

So here's my question:

My honey is starting to crystallize. I am assuming this means that it is "super saturated". Does this also mean that the water content of the honey was good?  In other words, I am assuming that honey with a high water content would not crystallize since it would not be super saturated.  Thoughts??

TIA

Ken

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Honey Question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 01:54:52 pm »
Hi Ken
I too, after I harvest, have honey that seems "runnier" than I'd expect.  I was worried at first, but after a few years of that, and no problems, I assume it is cured but has a different consistency.

But then it seems to get "thicker" over time.  And yes, then it will crystallize.  To the thickness  of hard creamed honey (only grainier!)

Based on my experience and what you describe, i'd say your honey is cured fine, the right moisture content, and super saturated as any other honey.  :)

Crystallization too can cause fermentation as the sugars settle out leaving excess moisture in between, but my honey all seems to crystallize consistently similar to creamed honey.

Rick
Rick

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:04:30 am »
Some flowers make thinner honey than others.  Privy hedge and I think Cotton make a thick sticky honey. Hard to extract. If you had all capped cells I would not worry too much.
Except for one time. If you leave capped honey sitting in the supers long enough in high humidity it will absorb moisture. The flower source also has an effect on the crystallization. :)doak

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 11:04:18 pm »
I've had honey from last year in combs that I put in the freezer that hasn't cristilized, Why?

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 01:50:08 am »
On the body of honey, the viscosity is dictated by the ratios of the sugars. My mesquite honey is very thin and runny but fully cured yet quick to crystalize.  The ratio of sugars in the nectar source will dictate it's body. Remember that honey is a aggregation of fructose, levose, dextrose and other sugars.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

anything