Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Big mistake???  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Saucy

• New Bee
Big mistake???
« on: May 09, 2005, 03:21:37 pm »
Some advice please?

The weather over here in the UK has been hit and miss and unfortunately has not been good at the weekends and had prevented me from doing a full inspection.

Last Sunday we had a bit of a heatwave but was prevented from opening up as my neighbors were all out in the sun. The next thing is that the bees came flying out in their thousands and created panic to the neighbors. They were about to swarm I am sure. After about 30 minutes, they all made their way back into the hive and on inspection, I found the queen and a few workers on the floor below the hive. Now the mistake!!!

Not thinking, I placed the queen (clipped) near the entrance and she ran back inside. After having read a handbook, I am under the impression that as her wings were clipped, she would not have left until a new queen had emerged? I think if they aren't clipped, she leaves when the queen cell is capped?

Anyway, I  opened the hive the following day and destroyed the other queen cells. I wanted to do an "artificial swarm" but could not locate the old queen as the bees were mad!

Everything seems quite normal and I am waiting for a break in the weather to do a full inspection. My question is, what do you all think has happened in the hive? Do you think a new queen may have hatched? Could this queen have swarmed? The old queen-what may have happened to her?

Any advice on what to do when and look for when I do open up would be appreciated.

many thanks.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Big mistake???
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 03:49:41 pm »
When you have a clipped queen they will try several times to swarm and then they will leave with a virgin instead.  I don't know where you are in that cycle.  I make it a point not to destroy queen cells as it never seems to stop them anyway and often leaves them queenless instead.  I just split them several ways and then recombine later if I don't want that many hives.  I also get some nice young swarm queens out of the deal that I can use to requeen other hives.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Saucy

• New Bee
Big mistake???
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 01:51:10 am »
Thanks Michael

I am going to try what you suggest.

I cannot believe that you are the only person on this forum with enough knowledge to offer advice?

Thanks again.

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Big mistake???
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 06:56:22 am »
Quite a few of us regular posters ARE very new to beekeeping, and some don't even have bees yet. Even though there are so many members, only a small fraction post on a regular basis.
We are very grateful though that ones like Michael are here, with his extensive knowledge. I'm glad he puts up with us newbies. :) And it helps all of us to learn more.

Beth

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Big mistake???
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 11:04:41 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
Big mistake???
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 04:36:57 pm »
Thanks Michael that was informative

Offline Saucy

• New Bee
Big mistake???
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 03:41:01 am »