Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What were my bees doing ?  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Old Blue

• House Bee
What were my bees doing ?
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:44:58 am »
I had the first afternoon available in a while to go take a quick look at my hive yesterday.  I didn't suit up, I just stood off about 30 feet or so and watched a lilttle bit.  The traffic level was lower than what I was expecting since the last time I opened them up about 4 weeks ago, there was a lot of capped brood. 

The wind was a liittle stronger than usual and the area is out in the open.  After about 5 minutes I noticed a couple of hundred bees flying in a particular area next to a bush about 20 feet away from the hive.  Their flight was not a lazy friendly looking type of flight.  It looked like high speed circling and making passes through the area.  As I watched, more and more bees joined them, and in the breeze this expanding flight of what I took to be agitated bees, would occasionally veer towards me.  I backed off to about 75 feet or so up the slope that I have them located on and continued to watch.  As I watched more and more bees joined in and there was an impressive and worrisome number of bees in the air flying around at high speed.  I got worried about their behavior and high tailed it out of there and didn't stick around to see what would happen.

Does anybody have any ideas why they were doing this? 

I don't think they were swarming since the last time I had them open there was a full deep that was only maybe 10-20% built out with plenty of room in the hive and not very much honey.  I used to have this hive on the top of my house and saw lots of days of orientation flights and this was definately not the case.  I had been holding my dog before going over there and I wondered if the smell would have started this but dismissed the thought because they weren't coming around me, but it definitely all happened while I was there watching.  The guy whose house I have them at tells me he occasionally stands about 10 feet or so from them and watches them and some times feels like he needs to move back another 5 - 10 feet or so.

What are they up to?

Any ideas?
 :?
Old Blue

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
Re: What were my bees doing ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 03:43:05 pm »
That's a real puzzler!  Have never witnessed that before.

Since the numbers were increasing, it sounds like they may have been a collecting swarm with perhaps a queen that had returned to the hive?

Don't think these were orientation flights.  These flights generally occur near the hive since it's the hive that they are orienting towards.

Could they have found a quick source of propolis and were hurrying to collect it all?

Perhaps someone else can help and surprise us all!   :shock:
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 04:14:09 pm »
Sounds like swarming. I wish you would have stayed to complete the missing pieces to this puzzle.

You most likely need to go back in soon & check for bees and swarm cells. They may have swarmed out on you.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 04:24:09 pm »
could you tell if they were drones?  how many to you guess is "impressive"?  a few hundred, or a few thousand?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything