Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hosting Site  (Read 3969 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
hosting Site
« on: May 15, 2011, 01:47:50 pm »
for those that have web pages , what hosting company do you use?

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
Re: hosting Site
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 09:54:55 pm »
The question here is more, "What are you doing with your website?"

If you just want to show pictures and talk about yourself, you really don't need to start a paid account.  There are companies out there that will offer PHP, SSI, and other alphabet soup thingy's for free.  You wouldn't need a lot of storage space either.

If you want to start a business, sell online, and use all that SSL/TSL stuff, you will need to pay.  Secure Sockets Layer/Transport Layer Security needs a dedicated IP (The address of your website, it would look like 192.168.100.100.) and those are finite.

If you're techy enough, you can actually use your own machine as the host for your website.  Webservers are actually programs that tell your computer how to handle requests for files.  I've set them up but never gotten more than a few things out of them.

So, I will ask you the first question every web designer asks his client, "What do you want this website to do?"  And I would need more than "I wanna get my Email."

To answer your question directly, I use about 6 different companies.
www.doteasy.com
www.squareserve.com
Hmmm.
and some others.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:09:22 am »
slacker361

What do you intend to use the website for?  I you are wanting to have a small website to share your photos, some videos, and bee stuff to friends, and family and such then there is no reason to pay for hosting.

If you want to have a professional looking website for business purposes and dont want to look like your business is operated out of a pop up camper, then you will want to use better website developing software and pay for hosting.

One important difference is your url address.  Free website developing software and hosting will use the same web address for all the websites hosted under it with an extension behind or before the companies address like the following.

http://www.webs.com/  main free companies address (not sure if this one is free or what, its just an example)

websites hosted under this would all have the webs.com behind whatever you name your site like

apples.webs.com or
oranges.webs.com so if you wanted a site call slackers bees you would end up with a web address of
slackersbees.webs.com

The only downside to websites like this is anyone who knows much about websites or hosting know you are using such a service and you dont really have a professional impression on them.

But these free hosting sites (not sure what webs.com offers or if its really free) are very easy to use and just about anyone who can operate a computer can build a website with ease and publish it to the internet.

If you want to have a more professional presence on the web then you will want your own distinct web address like  slackersbeesthatdontmakeanyhoney.com - lol

I also believe google, yahoo, bing and other search engines probably dont take free hosted website addresses or domains seriously and you likely would have a lot harder time getting your website to be listed very well in search results without first generating lots of traffic to your website.  I may be wrong but I dont think so.

If you would like to know what I use for website developing software, website hosting, how to get on first page of search results, etc. pm me and I will try to give you a little help.  I dont know everything but I have a half way decent understanding of how the web, search engines, search results, and how search results are generated
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 02:28:00 pm »
Slacker:

I use fatcow... mainly because I have 50 plus domains and they have unlimited domains/email for $59 yearly. No other web hoster that I found has no limits (no limit on domains, space, usage etc). I've had good service as well. Had to call them on a technical issue awhile back and the help desk is extremely knowledgeable and solve the problem real quick.

I don't use shopping carts etc so I'm sure that there would be an extra charge for those types of premium services if that is something you do or plan on.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline dazzlecat

• Brood
    • Bee Keeping How To Secrets
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 03:51:56 am »
If its just for personal use then using wordpress is awesome. You don't need to worry about hosting or anything. just create a wordpress account and select your design and you're good to go. I love the internet!

anything