Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: upper landing board  (Read 2537 times)

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
upper landing board
« on: January 06, 2011, 05:30:39 pm »
I am kicking around double queening a couple hives. I am trying to figure out how to make a landing board at the back of the hive for the top queen box. I figured making them all use the bottom opening may be a little much. Thanks Harold

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: upper landing board
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 05:50:42 pm »
You don't need a landing board, just an opening. Most natural hives don't have landing boards, and it's just a waste of lumber in my opinion to make them.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:13:01 pm »
I have over 200 hives with top entrances and no landing boards.  They serve no purpose except to give the mice some help getting in...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:50:44 pm »
Ok, I see I didnt ask this question right. What I want to know is do I need to drill holes or build a special box so I can use an entrance reducer? I didnt want to cut up a box but I will. Thanks Harold

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 09:54:17 pm »
Put a couple of 3/4" holes toward the top of the box and plug the one(s) you're not using at the time with wine corks or water bottle tops.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:51:45 pm »
You can do either beehappy. I converted all my deeps to mediums by cutting the excess off the bottom of the boxes. From there I was given a bunch of extra wood, so I turned all of them into shims, and cut a notch out of them and they make handy upper entrances.

Personally I don't like drilling holes in the bodies, but I know others that do, and it requires less equipment and less money. Both work just fine.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 01:26:03 am »
A couple of shims will make an entrance.  A short piece of 1/4" to 3/8" thick wood will make a reducer.  One nail in the middle will make a pivot on the reducer so you can open and close it without removing it.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin