Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee in Ear...  (Read 8616 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Bee in Ear...
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:02:27 pm »
I had a very interesting experience.  I had moved frames from a nuc into a full size hive and the girls were a little irritated...no stings just buzzing around my veil you know.   A while later I wandered back out in the yard to see how they were doing and activity seemed to be normal.  I had a worker fly into my ear and continue to just buzz.  I didn't want to try to remove her so I casually walk into the house and ask my wife if she would remove the bee from my ear.  I think she freaked more than I did.  She plucked the worker from my ear and that was that.  She never stung me, odd enough.  Nonetheless an experience.

David   

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Re: Bee in Ear...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:59:16 pm »
That is odd.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 11:08:34 pm »
She found a source of wax  ;)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 11:36:37 pm »
Ooooohhhh Beehopper!
 THAT was FUNNY!!!!

your friend,
john

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 11:54:56 pm »
ewww, I think I'll pass on honey from that comb...  :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 01:05:03 am »
I had a close call with a bee that got under my veil and it went into one of my nostrils, buzzing away, I was anticipating the sting at any moment, Thumped my nostril a few times and the bee exited, then re-entered, I expected the sting again, but it never happened, boy was I lucky!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 06:27:01 am »
dpence, JP or anyone for that matter, kudos for keeping cool during  situations like those, since I wear two hearing aids, I don't worry about bees getting in, but they do sound like chainsaws when they get right up there to the microphones, but up the nostrils  :shock:

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 07:35:32 am »
Can you hear me NOW?   :-D

It's a bit late, but I just thought of it.   :-D

Offline timdalyiii

• House Bee
  • Bee Cool
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 08:18:11 am »
One of my sons had a bee fly in his year when he was 3.  He wouldn't leave the house without wearing a wool hat pulled down over his years for the rest of the summer.   :shock:

He's 8 now and won't go anywhere near my hive.  No hat though.

Offline beekybuzzard

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 12:50:34 pm »
That brings back bad memories. About 12 years ago I was cutting grass and ran over a ground nest of yellow jackets. They flat out tore me up. I got stung too many times to count with 3 in one ear and 3 in the other. I got about 20 out of my hair (I had a lot more back then) once I got into the house. That had to be some of the worst sting pain I have ever had, including the hornet hit to the temple 2 years ago. I waited about 15 minutes ofter the yellow jackets got me and watched and found the 2 entrances they were using and, with a full 5 gallon jug of gas, had a large roasting party.
Thanks for the memories.    :roll:
With the help of the Lord I hope to be a good and faithful Shepard to all that He allows me to attend.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 01:57:40 pm »
Can you hear me NOW?   :-D

It's a bit late, but I just thought of it.   :-D

:-D I can always count on someone for that.

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 07:32:36 pm »
One of the things learned with beekeeping is keeping your cool.  Typically people will swat at a stinging insect if they think its a threat.  Most of the time, they are curious or you just happen to be in their path. The worst thing I can remember is having a bumble bee zoom in my helmet while riding a motorcycle when I was young, it got me good before I could stop the bike and toss the helmet.  Another time I was mowing a field and ran over a nest of them, never got stung but sure did get some head butting.  I found road gear on the tractor pretty quick... :-D

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 12:09:48 am »
I like bumble bees, they're probably more dossile than the honey bees are, even though they don't up and die from stinging you. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 12:15:34 am »
I like bumble bees, they're probably more dossile than the honey bees are, even though they don't up and die from stinging you. 

I like them also but man do they pack a powerful sting!!!  Worse I've ever encountered.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 09:51:13 am »

I like them also but man do they pack a powerful sting!!!  Worse I've ever encountered.

...JP

Bumblebees Sting  :?   can't say I was ever stung by one, but thanks for the warning.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 10:54:24 am »

...JP

Bumblebees Sting  :?   can't say I was ever stung by one, but thanks for the warning.

Don't confuse bumbles with carpenter bees that rarely if ever sting, even when provoked, bumbles will sting you IF you are over their nest which is usually in the ground.

...JP

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 12:50:43 pm »
Some bees just don't want to sting.  I am grabbing a bee and making it sting me every few days to build better resistance.  I give up in frustration on about 1 out of 5.  The other four will sting you pretty much as soon as you make contact, but that one you can press against your skin all day with no sting.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 12:58:15 pm »

...JP

Don't confuse bumbles with carpenter bees that rarely if ever sting, even when provoked, bumbles will sting you IF you are over their nest which is usually in the ground.

...JP

No confusion here. I have actually let BumbleBees take sugar water from my fingers in the past, the Carpenter Bees get the badminton treatment.  :evil:

Offline Steve M.

• House Bee
    • Maine Homesteading
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 01:05:13 pm »
I still vividly remember being stung multiple times by a bumble bee that inadvertently flew down my shirt as I was running into the house when I was about 12.  It took my dad a minute to figure out why I was screaming and jumping up and down before he pulled off my shirt and chased down the perpetrator.  One sting was in my underarm and another couple on my chest....boy did that hurt.  Made me mad at bumble bees for quite some time after that.

--Steve

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 02:25:04 pm »
Brings back memories of being 12...
My cousins and my family were on vacation camping somewere in the midwest, and we were enjoying the show put on by one of the campground's bugzappers...really cool to watch the flash and hear the "BZT" everytime a moth flew in there.

Until a moth flew into my cousin's ear.

He tried to get it out, but it wasn't going to come out.

Me, being a sarcastic wiseacre, said "don't stick your the earpiece of your glasses in your ear".  He heard "stick the earpiece of your glasses in your ear" and promptly did it, stuffing the moth all the way into his ear.

It didn't come out, no matter what they tried.  It just sat there next to his eardrum and flapped, causing what must have sounded like the inside of a kettledrum being attacked by a hyperactive 4 year old child. 

They had to rouse some poor doctor out of bed, he had a special syringe, and it came out the first try, and costed them $80.

You got off easy!

Rick
Rick

anything