Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WHY YOU SHOULD BREED RABBITS FOR MEAT!  (Read 16462 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: WHY YOU SHOULD BREED RABBITS FOR MEAT!
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2008, 12:45:22 am »
Hey guys!
 I dont hunt but I like to shoot guns(very rarely tho). I have friends who practically live to hunt!. I also benefit from their hunting as they will give me deer meat, wild hogs, and wild turkeys.But, as for me,I dont have the heart to hunt. I remember, as a teenager, shooting turtles(Hundreds of 'em!) just to kill them...Just for the thrill. I look back and REALLY REGRET doing this!
 Now fishing is what I can do!...From start to finish!..From making the lures, to catching, to cleaning, and then on to cooking and eating them! And I'm GOOD at it!(humbly speaking, of course)
 But, as I tell lots of people.....If the fish laid on the floor of the boat, With their eyes following my movements in the boat or while I'm sliding them around getting ready to fillet them...or they made crying sounds or something like that,.....I wouldnt be able to fish.
Imagine, 100 fish all doing this stuff.........Luckily, for the sake of my own conscience fish arent like this, so i fish, and do good!
 I had chickens once and ate the eggs. But one day a dog came and killed all of my chickens in one setting...Even "Henny Penny" a little white banty who would sit in our laps while we sat out on the
deck :'(
 I have pigeons now, and when i have to thin them out occasionally I'll tear out their breast(like people do with dove) and eat them, just so I dont feel like their life was wasted.
Anyways,...Thats just the way I am! :)

your friend,
john

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2008, 12:50:18 am »
Johnnybigfish,

I eat 3 parts of the pigeon, breast, gizzard, and heart--the 3 largest organs in their little bodies.  I figure that if a Turkey had the same size breast for its size as a pigeon has it would have 1/2 again as much breast meat.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2008, 01:02:21 am »
hey Brian,
It never occured to me about the gizzard and heart. What a great idea! I suppose I'll need to rinse the gizzard out so I dont bust any teeth on the grit, right?
 By the way, how are you doing with the pigeon racing? Young birds have started now, havent they?
your friend,
john

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2008, 01:10:38 am »
I would have to be pretty hungry to eat any of my own animals...maybe if I had tons & someone else took em away & they came back looking like they came from Costco...Dad had a great idea one time, he brought home about 12 rabbits to butcher...well there was this one that all of us fell in love with, even Mom..I still remember how those bunnies screamed when he whacked em...,Mom cooked the first meal but wouldn't eat it (she was really mad at him), then stated shw wouldn't cook any more.  I don't remember if he gave it away, cooked it or what! That was the last time he tried something like that.

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Beekissed

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2008, 03:14:44 pm »
  I don't know, folks.  The animals are appealing while they are still living but once they are dead they just seem like meat to me.  No life, no personality, no problem...I don't seem to have trouble eating them once they are butchered.  Maybe all that farm livin' has made me sensible but...animals have been utilized for food in this way since time began.  At least my animals have a good, clean and healthy life with little to no stress, unlike commercially raised poultry and beef.  The deer we kill are done so quickly and quietly, as we only bowhunt.  No running deer to each other and the animal having to run a gauntlet of rifle fire until it is brought down.  They are beautiful animals, they die a quick death and they are very tasty in the skillet.  I don't see the sorrow in that.  If you are a meat eater, something had to die.  Having the courage to do the killing yourself and making sure it is done with compassion and mercy is a GOOD thing.  Anyone get to see that film on those cattle being moved with a forklift in the CA slaugherhouse?  THAT is how store-bought meat gets to die. 
"...he maketh me to lie down in green pastures..."

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2008, 11:41:54 pm »
hey Brian,
It never occured to me about the gizzard and heart. What a great idea! I suppose I'll need to rinse the gizzard out so I dont bust any teeth on the grit, right?
 By the way, how are you doing with the pigeon racing? Young birds have started now, havent they?
your friend,
john

The gizzard has a lining that needs to be peeled off.  Cut the gizzard open and wash it out then peel the liner. 

I've been sick for the last week and unable to maintain my training regimen for my old birds so the racing season for those may be over before it starts as they need to be tossed 3-4 times a week at ever increasing distances prior to racing.  My health keeps getting in the way.  The Young bird races run from July to September so I have more time for training that way.  I'll probably switch to racing just the young birds this year.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2008, 11:59:46 pm »
Boy oh boy!
 Thats really got to be costly with the gas prices now!
Back when dad was racing we were lucky enough to be dealing with freight companies every day so the drivers would take our birds on training tosses for us.(I dont mean every day tho) We usually didnt go over 50 miles on weekends, but there were occasions where a nabor would be going to Dallas or Oklahoma city for the weekend.This was convenient as long as they were going in the direction of race releases for the season. Down here the longest races are 500 miles, unless its a futurity race, and then, best i can recollect, they were 600 miles at most.
I liked young birds best I suppose because everybody had a better chance at winning the "Pool"..(oops, i mean race) :-D
.Well, at least you'll be able to do the young bird season if all goes well!
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2008, 01:24:24 am »
hey Brian,
your friend,
john

The gizzard has a lining that needs to be peeled off.  Cut the gizzard open and wash it out then peel the liner. 

I've been sick for the last week and unable to maintain my training regimen for my old birds so the racing season for those may be over before it starts as they need to be tossed 3-4 times a week at ever increasing distances prior to racing.  My health keeps getting in the way.  The Young bird races run from July to September so I have more time for training that way.  I'll probably switch to racing just the young birds this year.

Brian, sorry to hear you're under the weather. I wish you a speedy recovery.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2008, 12:17:16 am »
Bottom line, how do you know what you're getting at the store?
We stopped at a hamburger  joint once. My wife and two older son's and myself,couldn't eat the burgers.
And I can eat some pretty rough stuff.
Had to through them away, our dog wouldn't even eat it.

As for using the same knife, unless you eat the meat not well done or raw, well what can I say.
 doak

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2008, 02:45:01 pm »
Try this.
Use cages up just high so it is easy to tend to the bunnies.
Use cement blocks or treated 2x10 or 12 inch timbers.
put about two inches of peat moss in and in about a week plant red wigglers in the bed.
in about 6 mo to a year take the top layer off then scoop out the bottom layer, which is worm castings.
screen the worms out and put them back in with the top layer.
You don't have to add any peat this time.
Once the worms get started you will have more than you need for fishing, "if you fish".
You may have to water a little once in a while,  and keep the bed raked level.
Not much smell either. :)doak