Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Good Hive Record/Inspection Cards?  (Read 2825 times)

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
Good Hive Record/Inspection Cards?
« on: April 06, 2016, 05:29:27 am »
Hey all,

My mate and I will be hosting hives on somebody else's property for a fee, and as part of our contract we have drawn up we have advised them that we will be keeping records of hive inspections that can be presented to them on request. So far we either go by memory or put things in our phones etc, but would like to be a little bit more professional. A lot of the hive record sheets I've seen mention Varroa, treatments etc so are US/Europe focused..

Does anybody have a good example of an Australian inspection/record card? Or, failing that, it should be easy enough to make our own ones up - what are some essential things we should include.

Any thing else you can think of for this sort of arrangement would be great - thanks!

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
Re: Good Hive Record/Inspection Cards?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 08:08:50 am »
I've tried many systems.  Cards, apps, computer programs. Even had my hives all numbered and used an index book.  All had their good and bad points. Now I use the duct tape method, all the other systems were just too time consuming. Tried different types of permanent markers and different tape.it's all up to what will work for you.
 I'm currently happy with "duck tape" (yes duck it's a brand name) it's a cloth tape that stays stuck, comes in different colours and the pens seem to mark well and last at least all season. Pental permanent markers are my choice. Art line fade quickly and often don't last a single day. Anyway that's what works for us. My needs/wants may well be different to yours as I have to scribe on a lot more hives per day.
On your cards include, date of your inspection/works.
                                          what was your works done and what you want to achieve next time.
                                          Queen age.
Anything else will be up to you.

Good luck, bee good.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 06:33:09 pm »
I've just downloaded an app call "Bee Appy" not used it yet but it is a tap to tick boxes type approach with camera access for recording map access for location - time will tell
David L

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 09:26:43 pm »
Thanks for the replies - I suppose what we would be after are some sort of paper record/inspection chart as we have advised our host they can see the records as they want. If these are taped to a hive or in our phones it probably won't be that easy.

I'll have a look around the net as well

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 11:13:18 am »
Check out this chart. Print it and fill it out at each inspection.

http://www.sababeekeepers.com/files/hiveinspection20130827.pdf

A little much for the two hives I will be getting. :cheesy:
jimmy