Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: More Extractor and plastic foundation questions  (Read 1813 times)

Offline banjojohn

• New Bee
More Extractor and plastic foundation questions
« on: July 17, 2005, 11:40:49 pm »
I decided I am destined to be in these bees. As I said before, a neighbor gave me all his be stuff (supers, boxes of foundation, enough for about 10 hives. I was thinking of getting an extractor an was talking to one of my music playing friends and he said he had one he would give me. I just went and got it. It is homemade but looks like a factory one( he fabricated equipment for lab and pilot plants for a chemical company before he retired) It will hold 4 deeps or equivelent. It is powered by a 1/2 inch variable speed drill. I'm cleaning it up tomorrow and am going to sling Tues. I read some of the hints on here. The honey ought to hot right? Maybe 90 or so? I should get an electric hot knife ,right or will an electtric knife do or does it gum up?   Second batch of questions, think I will go to plastic founation. Does it come with a wax film on it, to get them started? A feed store near here has a box of it they have had for 7 or 8 years. They got in some bee stuff but it didn't sell and I was thinking of making them an offer for it . It doesn't have any wax on it, does it have to have it and if it does can I melt some and brush it on, anyone done that?  Thanks ahead for the info.

anything