Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Should i add a frame or 2 of wax foundation?  (Read 2195 times)

Offline WayneW

• House Bee
Should i add a frame or 2 of wax foundation?
« on: May 15, 2009, 03:52:53 pm »
Hived my package last friday. The queen was out by sunday afternoon. I started them on frames with only wax starter strips.

I looked in today, and the queen is laying like a dang fool!!!!!

The gilrs are working hard and drawing as fast as they can, but i noticed eggs in just about every cell that wasnt being used for honey or pollen.

Will the queen lay SO fast as to run out of room. Should i add a frame or 2 with foundation (wax) to help the workers keep ahead?

Thanks in advance.
A beekeeper is not what i am, it's what i aspire to become.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
Re: Should i add a frame or 2 of wax foundation?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 04:09:00 pm »
Actually, they will usually draw the foundation slower than starter strips.  Just keep feeding them and they will be fine.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 06:38:48 pm »
People say that, but I'm not sure its always true.  I have noticed the queen will lay eggs in partially drawn foundation and the bees finish the cells around the eggs.  They can't do that when working from scratch.
-Mike

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 07:10:14 pm »
People say that, but I'm not sure its always true.  I have noticed the queen will lay eggs in partially drawn foundation and the bees finish the cells around the eggs.  They can't do that when working from scratch.

I have seen the same thing, seems like the eggs get a head start on foundation when you look at it from that prospective.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 08:44:57 pm »

I have seen the same thing, seems like the eggs get a head start on foundation when you look at it from that prospective.

that is true, I have not thought of it that way.  I am seeing that quite a bit too this year with the black waxed peirco since it is so easy to see.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 12:58:01 am »

Oh, yes they can.  I have 2 packages I hived May 1 and both were laying eggs in the combs when they were barely started.  It was nice to see eggs in the 1st row of cells that are less than a 1/4 of an inch deep.  It is actually more natural for them to lay eggs in comb as it is drawn from scratch, feral hives have to do it and bees on foundationless frames will do it too.  How quickly the queen starts laying eggs in the comb is one of the items I use in evaluating queens.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 12:20:30 am »
>They can't do that when working from scratch.

They do.  As soon as they are 1/4" deep she lays in them.  And they draw it faster from scratch...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin