Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wood Bleach Oxalic Acid for Varroa???  (Read 20503 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Wood Bleach Oxalic Acid for Varroa???
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 03:51:58 am »
>Isn't wood bleach un-natural. Isn't a pollution to put in hive!

It depends on your goal I guess.  If the goal is to have honey that is not contaminated, there is already oxalic acid in the honey.  But if you goal is a healthy ecology in the bee hive you will kill off most of the beneficial microbes in the hive with the dramatic shift in pH.  if you goal is to have bees that can live with the mites, you will instead be breeding bees that can't live without treatments and mites that can't survive unless they outbreed the die off from oxalic acid.  In other words super mites and wimpy bees.

http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoursimplesteps.htm#notreatments
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoursimplesteps.htm#breeding

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 10:28:32 am »
I just read a research where it was mentioned that  about140 hard chemicals have tested to varroa. Oxalic acid is number one when we talk about harmless. Many vegetables have 0,3-0.5% oxalix acid (lettuce, carrot). 

Beekeeping is  not natural if "natural" is so important. No domestic animal live naturally.

If we look for example young birds, 50% will be dead in few weeks when they leave the nest

But if you want to kill a pest like varroa mite, it is unrealistict to wait that it has no affect on bees but if only kills mites.

Natural way is that let the mite kill the hive. Perhaps you loose 300 dollars but at least  they are natural dollars.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 05:02:58 pm »
Shelly...   believe me I don't like using OA to treat the bees, but I don't want to lose the colony and none of the "softer" stuff works...  OA is the next step...  I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions before settling on OA.  Your question about wood bleach...  if you aren't careful which product you purchase, you can get wood bleach (Oxalic Acid) at lower percentages with other "fillers" in with the acid.  The product I purchased is made by Savogran and others have used it for OA treatments.  Also if you pull up the MSDS on their OA you will see it is 95 to 100% OA and no other ingredients.

I'm sure most agree the long term solution to Varroa are bees that control the mite and keep it at acceptable levels or eliminate it all together...  however, what I am seeing for me is my medium size colony is losing the battle.  So I'm treating...  my mite count is 75 to 100 every 24 hours and I have seen some deformed wing virus.  It may be too little too late but I'm gonna try...  John

Offline mgencunal

• New Bee
  • Technical teacher and bee-loving
    • http://mgencunal-mgencunal.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 10:12:12 am »
 Hello

I made another title on the application of oxalic acid under the share.

I heard it was banned in Turkey, the United States oxalic acid.

Writings, I understand that this practice is not prohibited.

I use dihitrat oxalic acid, 96.6% purity.

I mentioned earlier, I'm doing the apparatuses of oxalic acid vapor application developed with its own.

I get very good results.

Will close the application without disturbing the colony.

winter bees that are better layout.

Oxalic acid vapor, certainly does not disturb the bee.

What do you do with you the process of evaporation?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 11:23:12 am »
Hello

I mentioned earlier, I'm doing the apparatuses of oxalic acid vapor application developed with its own.

I get very good results.

I think banned is not the correct term.   In the USA it is not registered as an approved treatment.   It has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the OA but more likely due to $$$.   It takes a lot of money to get a product registered,  and since there is no way for someone to control the sale of a common substance like OA,  no way to get a return on the investment of registering.

One common way of treating is the use of an electric vaporizer.    2 grams and then keep hive sealed for 15 minutes.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 12:21:25 pm »
The latest letter I received from the State Dept of Ag stated that the use of OA is actually illegal to use on bees here.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 12:39:15 pm »
The latest letter I received from the State Dept of Ag stated that the use of OA is actually illegal to use on bees here.

Scott

Good thing you can still use it on your equipment though....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 01:57:52 pm »

Yup, just bleached some frames Sunday.

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 07:43:27 pm »
Yep V...K9   I bleached mine last week and so far I like the looks...  :)

anyway, in just a week (actually 5 days), the mite drop has gone from 75 to 100/24 hrs to less than 25 in 24 hours...  I'm not seeing the pale mites anymore and the hive looks good but time will tell...  I hope it wasn't too little too late.

John

Offline mgencunal

• New Bee
  • Technical teacher and bee-loving
    • http://mgencunal-mgencunal.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 04:13:29 pm »
Hello

I get very good results.

I think banned is not the correct term.   In the USA it is not registered as an approved treatment.   It has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the OA but more likely due to $$$.   It takes a lot of money to get a product registered,  and since there is no way for someone to control the sale of a common substance like OA,  no way to get a return on the investment of registering.

One common way of treating is the use of an electric vaporizer.    2 grams and then keep hive sealed for 15 minutes.
Oxalic acid is prohibited in the United States, Turkey, said the owner of a company engaged in pharmaceutical manufacturing.

Of course, I did not believe.

The reason to say so, my production of oxalic acid evaporation of a writing apparatus, after the publication of the magazine was a member of apimondia.

Commercial concern.

Using propane as a heat source.

Each hive takes about two minutes for the application.

Unaffected by the heat of vaporization is out for the bees.

He stands so open all the hive entrances.

Thank you for informing about the forbidden.