Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Certan application questions.  (Read 2929 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Certan application questions.
« on: January 10, 2008, 10:03:57 pm »
Having lost a hive last year to wax moths, I ordered some Certan and wish to treat my hives. I have read the instructions and all forum posts but I still have a question or two.

1. Can I treat my existing hives? Do I just open the hive and remove each frame and spray both sides? Spray bees, eggs, brood, pollen, and honey? I know that you treat the wax, but all my wax is in use by my bees.

2. Do I spray new undrawn foundation? Perco? 

Please advise, Steve     
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Certan application questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 10:24:30 pm »
Steve, I only use certan on cutout hives or weak hives, this is when they are most vulnerable to waxmoth. A strong hive will not have a waxmoth problem. If you want to spray your hives you can though. The claim is that it doesn't hurt the bees or your honey.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:43:14 am »
>1. Can I treat my existing hives?

Yes.

> Do I just open the hive and remove each frame and spray both sides?

Yes.

>Spray bees, eggs, brood, pollen, and honey?

What's in the brood nest, yes.  I would skip the supers until after the honey has been harvested.

>2. Do I spray new undrawn foundation? Perco?

Yes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 07:53:26 pm »
Thanks Michael and JP.

I will plan to treat my hives in early spring. I hope to never have to worry about wax moths again. That is if I remain diligent with treatment as I add new equipment.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan