Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: :needhelp: New Package of Bees  (Read 1147 times)

Offline jataylor

• House Bee
:needhelp: New Package of Bees
« on: April 25, 2012, 08:43:20 am »
I get my first package of bees on Saturday and the weather doesn't look good.  High of 51 and showers.  Anything special I should do to help the girls along? :needhelp:

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: :needhelp: New Package of Bees
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:14:15 am »
Depending on how long they have been packaged up,  you can wait a day or two if the weather forecast looks better.  Just keep them in a cool dark place and brush some sugar syrup onto the screen.

If the weather forecast doesn't look promising,  then just do your best to install them as quickly as possible,  and give them warmed syrup in an inverted jar over the inner cover hole.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:34:06 am »
I dont know what it is about packages that they have to always seem to come at the worst time. I'll second what robo said. They will be ok for a few days as long as they have syrup.

Offline cdanderson

• New Bee
    • Carolina Honeybees
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:37:12 am »
I like to spray some sugar water on the screen a couple times a day if I have to hold them.  If you can get them installed, just be sure to have your desired feeding system ready and they will do fine !
Charlotte
SC Master Beekeeper
"My bees obviously dont read the same books as me !"

anything