Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: wax moth damage  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
wax moth damage
« on: July 23, 2007, 02:02:18 am »
Is it worth keeping frames that have been ravaged by wax moths? In the past I've destroyed them but I have 3 mediums that I just discovered with significant infestation. I was going to spray them with Certan tomorrow and was wondering - since all of the frames have drawn comb - if it's feasable to use them again. I scraped away all of the visible tunnels, larva, etc.

Offline fcderosa

• House Bee
Re: wax moth damage
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 08:18:30 am »
If you have a freezer I'd freeze them and then let the bees fix the damage.
The good life is honey on a Ritz.

Offline Potlicker1

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 10:52:05 am »
I've used them in the past and a strong hive will clean it up and use it just fine.

Offline Tug Fork Bob

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 12:56:09 pm »
If you have an air comresser with an air gun try using that to get rid of the webs.  If you keep the pressure low it gets rid of them without tearing up the comb.  At least it worked good for me. (might work with the exhaust from a shop vac too but never tried that).

Hope this helps

Bob

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 02:06:54 pm »
Thanks gentlemen.

I had used an air compressor and a small scraper previously and then, unwisely,  put them back into my weakest hive. without treating them.  Apparently enough eggs were still there undetected so that the infestation returned. Lesson learned.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has experienced increased frequency of wax moth trouble when using top entrances.

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 05:05:22 pm »
I bought some old equipment this year with wax moth webs.  I scraped the frames but eventually cleaned the wax out of them and scrapped the frames.  The hive bodies I burnt the insides with a torch, and then froze them before giving them back to the bees.  If you have splits or nucs that you would be using them for I would freeze and burn them.  Very strong hives can clean them up, but I would not want to risk a wax moth explosion...

Offline amandrea

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 06:53:39 pm »
I put up a moth trap as describred else where in the forum about two weeks ago and it is still catching moths!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 10:36:24 pm »
If there is just a web running through it I let them clean it up.  If it's all webs, I tear it all out for them, as it is a lot of work for the bees to do so.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin