Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oz Hygienic Queen Breeders...?  (Read 4865 times)

Offline CJ

• House Bee
Oz Hygienic Queen Breeders...?
« on: May 07, 2013, 01:02:10 am »
Hi all  :)

Starting to think about next year and getting myself ready. Hoping for a bit of expansion and I would really like to use hygienic queens.
Aiming for 50 full strength hives by the end of next season so I'm looking to get 20-25 packages as early in the season as I can (preferably with h.queens) and then do a round of splitting which I would order in another 25 h.queens for.

Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction for a hygienic queen breeder - one that does packages as well would be great!

Many thanks!!

CJ

Offline kanga

• House Bee
Re: Oz Hygienic Queen Breeders...?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 02:37:27 am »
CJ

I note there is a breeder that advertises in the ABK and on searching there website it states that "As bee breeders we select our special breeder queens for hygienic behaviour".  They are located in NSW and do provide packages both locally and internationally. I have not bought queens from them so I am unable to comment.

http://brownsbees.com.au

Kevin

Offline CJ

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 03:30:21 am »
Cheers Kevin, think you found what I was looking for! I've sent them an email.

At one of our monthly Beek meetings we had a Dr Sheba Khan from ANU & UC come and speak to us about her doctorte studies on bee bacteria, chalk brood and the development of pro biotics for them. It was really interesting to listen to! While she was there she motioned hygienic breeders (in WA I think) that were freezing a measured section of brood and then seeing what percentage the bees removed in a given period as a measure of their hygienic behavior and then breeding only from those hives that got 100% I think. Really cool stuff! (excuse the pun :-P)

Offline dermot

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:51:39 am »
Was that the ACT Beekeepers Association meeting?

Offline CJ

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:06:41 am »
Sure was  :) I figured we were in the same association, but I've only been to a few meetings so far so I don't think we have met yet.

Offline dermot

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 04:27:17 am »
If your going on Thursdee, come and say G'day. Who am I looking for?

Offline CJ

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 04:36:29 am »
Look forward to it Dermot - Providing I don't get caught up at work again I definitely will mate! (In the middle of stocktake hell at the moment!?!) - Name badge says 'Chris Inglis from Yass'   :)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 06:51:35 pm »
From what I have heard, sadly, Browns aren't doing packages anymore

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 12:49:24 am »
I had sent Browns an enquiry about packages  by email some weeks ago and have not had any response......obviously they must have more business than they can handle!

Offline CJ

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 05:16:58 am »
I had sent Browns an enquiry about packages  by email some weeks ago and have not had any response......obviously they must have more business than they can handle!

Yeah I've sent them several emails and never got a reply either... Got through on the phone once in May only to be told to call back in August as they were too busy.