Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in a dresser Need help please  (Read 7375 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Bees in a dresser Need help please
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 01:58:56 am »
OK I wanted to reply earlier, but stuff happens!!  Anyway this is where we are right now with the dresser. The dresser cannot be left on the construction site, as we have been told it is a liability issue right now (someone might get stung). So next week we are going down and moving the entire dresser to Shawna's property up in Placerville. We will drill a hole in the top of the dresser and pour bakers sugar into the drawer. Then place insulation all around the dresser and staple tar paper onto the dresser to protect from the rain.  Shawna will find some roofing material to place on top to keep the dresser dry.

All that will be left open is the opening for the bees to go in and out.  The dresser has to be outdoors, no barn or shed to place this hive.

What do you all think?

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 02:11:05 am »
It sounds like a well thought out plan to me.  Where I am, I get pretty stiff winds that would blow a dresser over - so if that is the case, you might want to tie it to a fence post or place it where it won't get blown over.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 02:17:13 am »
OH yea - a few bricks will do it. She can watch them if there is a truly bad storm. But something to think about for sure. Thanks for mentioning this as the dresser will be very light. 5 drawers, but only the top drawer filled with the bees.

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 08:15:41 am »
Bricks could go in the bottom drawer
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 09:00:17 am »
This has been tried but there is a little thing called propolis that makes opening drawers impossible after a short time.
I envision a new style of hive!

what if you could check the bottom brood box without removing the top boxes?  Basically stackable drawers with frames in them.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 12:10:14 pm »
Bricks could go in the bottom drawer

Good Idea!!

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 12:33:32 pm »
This has been tried but there is a little thing called propolis that makes opening drawers impossible after a short time.

Are you just trying to goat me into making one.  As long as the bees were prevented from getting to the runners on the drawers it could work.  I think the bigger problem would be weight and expense but it's something to think about.
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2009, 09:13:32 am »
I envision a new style of hive!

what if you could check the bottom brood box without removing the top boxes?  Basically stackable drawers with frames in them.

Root sold them in the 60's  -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,8627.msg54305.html#msg54305
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2009, 01:17:20 pm »
I have had numerous people ask me why they are not designed like this.

I guess it really could not work very well with the propolis still gumming up the works.

anything