Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caucasian Queens  (Read 8170 times)

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
Caucasian Queens
« on: October 23, 2010, 07:16:50 pm »
Hi Guys, I need to re Queen my eight humble hives and have been told that Caucasian Queens are the go.  All my hives are new to me and some of the queens are very rough looking.
So the questions, do any of you guys breed Caucasian Queens or know of a good breeder of them.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
Re: Caucasian Queens
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 09:13:20 pm »
What do you mean that the queens are rough looking? Why do you need to requeen them all?
Sorry, can't recommend any breeders.

The Australasian Beekeeper magazine will send you a free sample copy. Might take a couple weeks. It's full of ads to buy queen bees.

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 11:36:01 pm »
The existing Queens are very small and I don't know their age.  They Hives have been left to themselves for the last two years by the previous owner.  Also the small amount of brood in the hives is very much a Pepper box type of spread.

So my idea is to requeen the lot and go from there.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 03:45:11 am »
Try John Covey out Jimboomba, Queensland. He sends them through the mail once payment is recieved. I recall his prices are reasonable.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:52:36 pm »
Hi Guys, I need to re Queen my eight humble hives and have been told that Caucasian Queens are the go. 

What was the reasoning behind the suggestion for caucasians?

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 12:52:31 am »
Hi Phil, the reason for the trying the Caucasians was that they are supposedly a very gentle Bee and easy to work with...apparently but I am probably wrong.

Cheers
Steve

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 03:42:37 am »
I've heard exactly the same about Italians (Ligurian)...

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 05:08:24 am »
Has to do with the genes and lots of other factors. Temper is funny thing with some of head girls.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 04:18:52 pm »
I had Caucasian hives 40 years ago. The origin was from Canada. Colonies were big, tame but lazy.Not eager to swarm.

Caucasians are not popular on the earth. They are used in Argentina and in East Europe. Some crossings in USA.

You want tame Italians. They are when you get a tame genepool. I have read that New Zealand Italians are tame.

But it depends how strong selection you use too weed off swarmy and protective colony mamas.
You have in Australia much wild colonies which give enough vivid semen to tame queens. It is continuous battle.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 05:15:45 pm »
Hi Finski, I did more reading about what strain of Bee's to get and I decided to re queen with Italians.  One of the main reason was that there is a queen breeder about 10 kilometres from my house and its easy to get them.  They are going great at the moment and they are very golden in colour.  They appear to be a medium size bee but are quite long.  They are gentle and easy to handle.
Cheers Steve

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 02:30:33 pm »
Hi Finski, I did more reading about what strain of Bee's

It is interesting to try different strains. It is only way to find out are they good.
But when very different strains cross between each others, they will be perhaps swarmy.

"Angry bees are better foragers". That is not true att all . Good foraging depends on good pastures and short flying distance.

Good luck with yur choice!
Language barrier NOT included

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 05:42:51 am »
The quietest, most productive, queen I have had to date is a carniolan x Italian... An amazing queen! I can give you the phone number of the guy if you want. I am trying lots of strains at the moment-carniolan, Caucasian, Ligurian and carniolan x italian

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 11:27:53 pm »
Thanks OzBuzz, I am happy with my New Italian queens they are going great and very quiet so I will stick with them at the moment.
Cheers
Steve

anything