Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: screened bottom boards  (Read 3640 times)

Offline tina

• House Bee
screened bottom boards
« on: April 19, 2011, 05:56:06 pm »
does anyone use screened bottom boards in QLD   if you do please post pros and cons of them

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
Re: screened bottom boards
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:28:11 pm »
I am using Screened Bottom Boards in Brisbane, mainly as a Small Hive Beetle trap.

Pro - easy to empty/refill trap from the rear of the hive without disturbing or opening it, or even going near the entrance.
Pro - Uses cooking oil: non toxic, cheap, easy to get. (Not sure how DE or lime would go with the humidity???)
Con - Oil gets alot of SHB, pollen and rubbish from the hive floor in it and can get pretty funky within a few weeks.
Con - If the tray gets a hole in it all the oil will leak out, and the remaining goo (oil/pollen/dead SHB etc) will ferment really quickly. (I think this caused 1 of my hives to abscond).

I currently use Stainless Steel mesh and thin aluminium roasting pans, but they have tended to get pin holes and spring leaks after a while so I am looking into some better trays, maybe even making them from aluminium sheet.

ML

Offline tina

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 02:35:04 am »
thanks for all that info    SHB aren't a problem at the moment  the nights are so cold they all have frostbite   we're going down to 9 deg at night

Offline gregted

• House Bee
  • I used to be indicisive, but I'm not so sure now..
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 06:57:56 am »
Hi Meadlover,

I have a huge shb problem i my hive and was wondering if these screened bottom boards work for you.

The idea sure looks sound. I assume there is some type of dish under the screen filled with oil or something that the shb drown in.

Be interested to hear how effective they are at your apiary.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 07:55:01 am »
thanks for all that info    SHB aren't a problem at the moment  the nights are so cold they all have frostbite   we're going down to 9 deg at night

We got SHB living in Vermont USA all winter long sum times it will not get over (this  the day time) 0 Fahrenheit  for a week or 2 at a time Just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/