Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wire or fishing line?  (Read 6764 times)

Offline Greg watkevich

• House Bee
Wire or fishing line?
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:23:26 pm »
I need to add a second deep onto my 2 new hives.  I'm not using foundations and the lower deep is getting pretty full, but had some difficulty with getting the bees to draw straight comb. Eventually after some comb removal and realignment things look OK.  I want to use some wire as a guide on the second deep.  Hopefully the bees will align and imbed the line into their comb.  I don't have any tinned wire just galvanized wire and don't want to use it because of the coating.  I was wondering if a strong monofilament fishing line would work just as well?  or will the bees eat throught the line????
Thanks,
Greg Watkevich

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
Re: Wire or fishing line?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 08:18:42 am »
"Fatbeeman" has a youtube video of using 50# test line to secure unwired foundation. I've been using wire so far in a foundationless frame but there is no guarantee the comb will be straight. The bees have been building around the wire though. Some frames without wire are just as straight.
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:21:30 am »
Couple of points.

Either run it in the 'X' pattern on both sides with bobby pins like Don does,  or run it the normal way you would wire, BUT do it on both sides for all 4 passes.  If you run it the normal way and alternate sides with each pass,  the foundation will sag into an 'S' shape around the line if the bees don't start drawing it right away.

Also, don't pull the line too tight,  otherwise you will go back to inspect and find some of it snapped.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline fat/beeman

• House Bee
    • Dixie Bee Supply.com
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:09:00 pm »
hello
in my u tube videos I use from 8# to 15 # test line.

if your wanting to cut out queen cells don't use wire
Don

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 02:59:58 pm »
Greg,
I know this is not what you are asking. But I wanted to mention I have almost no problems with foundationless frames when I use mediums. Deeps, yes. Mediums, almost never.

Something to consider.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 07:52:24 pm »
Hi Greg,

Getting the bees to draw straight comb is 99% in making the hive level and providing good comb guides (they will sometimes do their own thing anyways, but most of the time this works well).  If these are not attended to, you will not have straight comb.

I don't think wire or fishing line will have any impact on how straight they will make comb, and I believe that they will incorporate either into the comb just fine.  We use all deeps, mostly foundationless, and don't wire at all.

deknow

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 07:56:33 pm »
I also run without foundation and all (or nearly so) deeps. As said, leveling the hives is important at first. I have very few problems...no more than with foundation.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 08:48:23 pm »
Back when I was using deeps, I'd put a "X" with one cross on one side and the other on the other side and the foundation between...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything