Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from Hammond Louisiana  (Read 3015 times)

Offline m_swearinger

• New Bee
Hi from Hammond Louisiana
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:47:27 pm »
Hi my name is Mike and am just getting into beekeeping. My Grandfather passed away last month and left me with 4 beehives and some old equipment. He told me to go save the bees and keep the hives alive, so here goes!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Hi from Hammond Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:52:05 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster Mike! I reside in Metairie, keep bees in 9 Mile Point, soon in Raceland and also keep them in Bogue Chitto. I pass through Hammond all the time, was in Tickfaw the other day dealing with yellow jackets.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:06:32 am »
Mike

You are very lucky to live so close by to JP.  He is one of the best beekeepers here on this forum and a great help to everyone. You can count on him to help you with the hives.

Annette

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:12:24 am »
hello and welcome  m_swearinger I live in Franklinton,La about 50 miles east of you .We have a tri -parish club meeting 1st Thursday everymonth I am adding  a link for you .

Tangi-Tammington     Julian Laine, Jr.     (504) 858-3525 this is our president he will do eveything he can to help also Robert Taylor lives in Ponchatoula.La and is on the State beekeers board.    http://www.labeekeepers.org/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 12:19:05 am »
Well, thanks Annette, I've learned a lot from others that are much better than I am. Now if you need a hive removed, give me a call, got a trailer full of tools and bee vacs and ain't afraid of getting my hands dirty!

I will try my best to help anyone near me.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 10:00:19 am »
Hello and Welcome Mike
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny   

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 10:48:22 am »
Mike, welcome to our forum, so wonderful that you found us.  That must be a hard day, that day your Grandfather passed.  His wish for you to take on his bees, care for them, and save the bees is the most beautiful thing.  He has given you a job to do, and it sounds like you are taking his last wishes very seriously.  That is just so beautiful.  Stick around Mike, your Grandfather was very wise in his instruction to you, carry forward this wish with deep integrity.  This will be a place where you can learn and learn, a place where you can lean on us to help you to carry forward your Grandfather's request.  This will be a place where you can tell us your stories, tales, experiences, we love to listen -- and we love to help.  Every time you will be working with your Grandfather's bees, you will think of him, and I am sure that these will be very fond memories for you -- he will be watching and be very proud of you.  Have that most wonderful day, lovin' and livin' our great life with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 10:55:17 am »
Welcome Mike!
You have no idea how lucky you are to have someone like Jp living near you.
He knows everything you will need to get yourself going with the bees.
Jimmy is also stepping up to help out, looks like you will be all set between these guys.
Awesome that you were left those hives and that you are going to carry on with the beekeeping.
Good Luck!! :)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 11:06:06 pm »
Mike,

There will come a day, soon I hope, that you'll look back and realize that the gift of the bee hives and equipment was the greatest thing your grandfather could have done for you at his passing.  Each time you open a hive, build boxes or frames, extract honey, or do anything associated with the bees you'll remember your grandfather, his kindness and love because you were the one he chose to give this particular gift to.
I started beekeeping 50 years ago at the age of 10, I had a mentor who had started beekeeping back in the 1890's.  To this day I always think kindly of an old barber who took 6 years of his life to teach me how to keep bees.  He stuffed my head with so much information that I was nearly 30 before I realized just howmuch he had taught me.

Welcome aboard.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 09:59:40 pm »
Welcome Mike and good luck with your bees.
Bobby

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 09:35:13 am »
Welcome Mike! A lot of the wonderful people on here welcomed me and it felt great! I thought I would do the same for as many people as I could. It will be great getting to know you and everybody else too. JP is a very wise and trustful man. Good luck and have fun!

Offline Mehmet Yüksel

• New Bee
  • Mehmet Yüksel
    • Beekeeper from Germany
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 04:01:30 pm »
Welcome to the Forum Mike :)
I'm from turkey and live in Germany and I like Beekeeping very very much.
My Beekeeping Homepage http://mehmetyuksel1.blogspot.com

anything