Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nonlaying swarm queen?  (Read 3189 times)

Offline cwoernle

• Brood
Nonlaying swarm queen?
« on: April 17, 2005, 06:06:12 pm »
My one colony gave up a swarm on Palm Sunday weekend.  I was able to capture it, but on several inspections (including one today) I see no evidence of egg laying.  I have spotted the queen, who scurries around with little attention being paid to her.  The workers have drawn out comb, and there is even some capped honey at the top of several frames.  I'm not good at spotting eggs, but there clearly are no larvae, much less capped brood.  I think there are the beginnings of one or two supercedure cells.  Should I give the queen more time, or is it time to replace her? Thanks for the advice.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Nonlaying swarm queen?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 06:08:22 pm »
I don't know how they can make anything from the supercedure cells if the queen isn't laying. Or did you place some brood in there?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Nonlaying swarm queen?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 07:41:25 pm »
I'm confused too. Was there some young brood in the hive for them when you caught the swarm? How long has this been again? 3 to 4 weeks?

I can see it taking a week or so until she started laying - maybe. But how in the world is there a supercedure cell but no other brood?

Beth

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Nonlaying swarm queen?
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 10:02:50 pm »
If it was a virgin queen from an afterswarm it could easily take two weeks for her to mate and start to lay, if the weather is good.  Longer if the weather is not good enough for her to take her mating flights.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything