Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What good is the green drone comb for mite control...  (Read 2134 times)

Offline paulh

• New Bee
What good is the green drone comb for mite control...
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:33:30 pm »
...when they fill it with honey?

I've intalled one Pierco frame in each colony, upper deep, 2nd of 3rd frame in.  Maybe it needs to be in closer to the center?

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: What good is the green drone comb for mite control...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 11:34:34 pm »
I'd check where they are putting drone cells within in your broodnest, that'll give you an idea of where your girls want it.  If you don't have many drone cells then it's irrelevant where you put it.  Backfilling drone comb with honey isn't unusual as fall approaches though, so it might just be a timing thing.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: What good is the green drone comb for mite control...
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 11:40:24 am »
Backfilling drone comb with honey isn't unusual as fall approaches though, so it might just be a timing thing.

Adam is right.   Any drone frames I still have in my hives are now mostly filled with honey.  They used them to raise drones in the spring and through early summer,  but have since filled them with honey.  Perhaps as a method to reduce the queen from laying drones.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison