Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: rooster soup  (Read 9423 times)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: rooster soup
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 11:24:29 pm »
I had african geese, they were soooo funny! I could hold the girl & pet her, she loved it...the whole time the gander would stomp around, visibly shaking & hissing doing that snake deal with his neck, never getting his beak closer than an inch to any part of my body. He would tear up a glove or baggie when I dropped it.  I would turn my back on him then turn around really fast to see how quickly he could stop! :evil:  He would however wing slap & bite others.  When he first started thinking he was a tough guy I would hold him, talking in a high syrupy voice & kiss him on his beak bump!  Of course this was done in front of the goose he was trying to show off for. He was mortified & soon learned not to mess with me.  It is also fun to catch the ones at the park when they think they are tough..the look on their little faces when they realize I'm not scared is priceless!!  My Daughter does the same thing & the geese remember you!  :-D   J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 11:27:49 pm »
Butchered one of my home grown turkeys for Thankgiving today.  Due to family obligations we couldn't get all the kids and grandkids together until Tomorrow (Sunday).  Size wise the turkey is the same volume as the one we had on thursdays for those who live here, but weight wize it was 5 lbs heavier.  The breast is bulging and hard from flying around the pen and up and down from the roof.  

My 2 daugthers are doing most of the cooking and are taking the time to fix the pumpkin pie using Cocnut milk so I can have some.  They are using CM in other things as well due to my food allergies.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 11:24:18 am »
Butchered one of my home grown turkeys for Thankgiving today.  Due to family obligations we couldn't get all the kids and grandkids together until Tomorrow (Sunday).  Size wise the turkey is the same volume as the one we had on thursdays for those who live here, but weight wize it was 5 lbs heavier.  The breast is bulging and hard from flying around the pen and up and down from the roof.  

My 2 daugthers are doing most of the cooking and are taking the time to fix the pumpkin pie using Cocnut milk so I can have some.  They are using CM in other things as well due to my food allergies.

Oh Brian, that goes to show you how much your Daughters love you, taking that extra effort and time to get that coconut milk to put as an ingredient so you can have some of that yummy stuff too.  That is going an extra mile, and I take my hat off to these gals.  What more could you ask for, not much I would say, the love of family.....say no more, it makes my heart swell....

Now, you must tell a little bit about these turkeys.  I know that when we were down for the bee barbeque at the end of August, I saw these two birds.  At that time they looked the same size.  How on earth could one of them have gotten so ding dang much bigger than the other one.  Like five pounds is a lot of weight.....They were really big birds.  Do you have any idea what their finished weight was, I am curious, you know me, hee, hee.... I think back and compare these two hens to my bronze heritage tom, Richard, I think even when I was at your place they may have surpassed him in size, but that is kind of hard to tell exactly, from how my memory serves me.

What I am wondering here is:  were those two bronzes that you had there the ones that they call "double breasted"?  That makes for much more breast meat than a regular heritage bird.  Do you know this answer?  Mine is not that "double breasted" one, maybe that is why mine looked to be a little bit smaller, in my mind's eye.  My Richard doesn't fly up onto the roofs or anything really high.  He did fly to the chickenhouse roof a couple of times when we first got him last December, but he was only 9 months old then.  Now he is one and one half years old, he was born June of 2007.  I think he is too big to fly up high.  He can fly up on his roost inside his house, and onto the fences, but he doesn't even bother much with flying up on things, think he knows his limits.  Now the girls, they are always flying up onto high things.  Have a great and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 10:24:44 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20081126/sc_livescience/5surprisingturkeyfacts

5 Surprising Turkey Facts
Robert Roy Britt
Editorial Director
livescience.com Wed Nov 26, 2:51 pm ET

Some 271 million turkeys will be raised in the United States this year, according to the National Turkey Federation, and a good number of them will be consumed on Thanksgiving, after which many Americans will loll about, overstuffed, sleepy and in many cases intoxicated.

This is not what the Pilgrims had in mind.

The first Thanksgiving was a moment for the Pilgrims to thank God for allowing them to kill enough game and grow sufficient crops to get through the winter, says Anne Blue Wills, assistant professor of religion at Davidson College. Those Pilgrims would have spent much of their day in church contemplating the mercies of God's covenantal love, Wills argues.

Not until Sarah Hale, editor of Godey's Lady's Book and Magazine promoted for 50 years the idea of a regular Thanksgiving holiday did President Abraham Lincoln make it one in 1863. In the years since, the turkeys we eat have changed dramatically, and so has scientific knowledge of them. Among the things you might not know:

1. Turkeys Can Fly
Wild turkeys feed on the ground, which might explain the myth of their flightlessness. They can in fact soar for short bursts at up to 55 mph. But their tendency to stay on or near the ground contributed to successful hunting that brought the wild population of turkeys down to about 30,000 in the 1930s. There are now 7 million of them.

2. Dark Meat is Rare Because ...
Meat is muscle. And muscle is fed by blood. In the blood is myoglobin, which binds with oxygen and stores it in muscles for when it's needed. Myoglobin also makes meat dark. Muscles that are used most, like those in drumsticks (legs), have more myoglobin. Domestic turkeys are too fat to fly, so they don't use their breast muscles much, which is why breast meat is white. The breast of a wild turkey is entirely different, darker (and far tastier for those who are game).

3. Turkey Eggs Wouldn't Sell
Chickens are champion egg-producers. Turkeys, not so good. Turkey eggs are bigger, so their nests tie up coop space. And farmers have learned that they make more raising turkeys for meat rather than eggs. Oh, and some turkeys are protective of their eggs, making the gathering more challenging.

4. It's Not the Turkey That Makes You Sleepy
Turkey contains a natural chemical called tryptophan, which we need to build proteins for our bodies. Indeed, tryptophan is also related to the production of serotonin, which helps us sleep. But all meat has about the same amount of tryptophan. Cheddar cheese has a lot more. What really makes you sleepier after a Thanksgiving meal compared to other meals is eating too many carbohydrates, from potatoes to pies. Alcohol can contribute, too.

5. Dinosaurs Had Wishbones, Too
The wishbone, called a furcula, is the fusion of two collarbones at the sternum. It's where a bird's flying muscles hook up. It's elastic and great for flapping. Turns out T. Rex and the Velociraptor had wishbones, too. While they didn't fly, this fairly recent discovery is one of the many bits of evidence that shows birds evolved from dinosaurs.

Sarah Hale probably never thought about any of this back in the mid-1800s. She just wanted the nation to celebrate a pious, patriotic holiday, said Wills, the Davidson College researcher. Hale used columns and stories in her magazine to portray Thanksgiving as a triumph of domesticity and rural simplicity over urban sophistication. She urged President Lincoln to create a single day on which all states would mark the holiday as a national event.

"The message is that the simple, pure, honest rural life, away from the temptations of the city, puts you in touch with true values," Wills said. "If we can just travel back to the old home place once a year we'll be protected from temptations and evil."

While some of that spirit might remain in the holiday, much indeed has changed about American culture in general and in how people view and partake in the holiday.

"For instance," Wills said, "I don't think football games and making the day after Thanksgiving the biggest shopping day of the year ever crossed her mind."

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 10:45:49 am »
Jerry, well done, thank you for bringing that in here, that was a VERY interesting read, beautiful day in this great life, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 11:34:57 am »
Here's one you forgot Jerry. Did you know that Turkeys like to sun bathe in the nude? Well they do, but the powers that be put a stop do that, so now turkeys have to wear bikinis!

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 08:18:21 pm »
Dark Meat is Rare Because ...
Meat is muscle. And muscle is fed by blood. In the blood is myoglobin, which binds with oxygen and stores it in muscles for when it's needed. Myoglobin also makes meat dark. Muscles that are used most, like those in drumsticks (legs), have more myoglobin. Domestic turkeys are too fat to fly, so they don't use their breast muscles much, which is why breast meat is white. The breast of a wild turkey is entirely different, darker (and far tastier for those who are game).

Since the bird I butched liked to roost atop the chicken house and had been known to fly the coop now and then the white meat was actually light brown.  The breast meat was also much denser due to the flight habits of the bird.  Pigeons, whose wishbone is fused with the keel bone, are nothing but red meat.  The breast muscles are used in flight.  My pigeons have larger hearts than either the chickens or the rabbits I butcher.

It's Not the Turkey That Makes You Sleepy
Turkey contains a natural chemical called tryptophan, which we need to build proteins for our bodies. Indeed, tryptophan is also related to the production of serotonin, which helps us sleep. But all meat has about the same amount of tryptophan. Cheddar cheese has a lot more. What really makes you sleepier after a Thanksgiving meal compared to other meals is eating too many carbohydrates, from potatoes to pies. Alcohol can contribute, too.

I'm usually alseep by the time the desert is served.  I don't drink alcoholic beverages and I'm allergic to most cheeses so it has to be the Turkey and the Potatoes.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!