Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is a "Sideliner"?  (Read 4511 times)

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
What is a "Sideliner"?
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:49:16 pm »
I got called one at my last meeting.  I did a search here and found several references, but can only really determine that it's someone between hobby and commercial status.  Is there a better definition?

Is it someone with a certain number of hives?  Someone with a business license?  Someone actively promoting the sale of their honey products?

I imagine it's probably all of the above, I was just wondering if there was a particular trait that moved someone from hobby to sideliner.

Thanks!

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
Re: What is a "Sideliner"?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:52:06 pm »
Don't know of a technical definition but around here it's a beek with a day job who also produces enough honey to sell all year long.  If i was a Sideliner i would have a business license.

I figure a commercial beek's day job IS making honey and a Hobbyist just sells any extra honey they end up with.  With variations of course...
Make Mead!

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 05:59:36 pm »
Hemlock pretty much has it right.

A hobbyist is someone who keeps bees, mostly in their back yard, seeking honey to either eat themselves or give away. If they get a really good harvest they might even sell some.  A hobbyist could have some hives in outlying apiaries.

A sideliner is someone who has a "day job" but has enough hives to hopefully make a little money "on the side" from his/her beekeeping activities.  Beekeeping is not their primary source of income but it is a source of income.

A commercial beekeeper is one who has 500 (that number seems a bit high to me) hives or more and keeping bees is their fulltime occupation.  This is the way it has been explained to me.
linda d

Offline SEEYA

• House Bee
  • Poke a meek dog enough times.........!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 07:30:56 pm »
I think that the term "Sideliner" is offensive. ( Football - sidelines) Anyone who is not an active participant? Someone who lacks the ability, aptitude, or fortitude to be in the game? Lets start using the term " challenged beekeeper" or maybe "drone beekeeper"!  :-x  Maybe this needs to be moved to the Coffee Shop? Sorry :oops:, I gotta thin skin - that's why I not going to the coffee shop anymore.  :buttkick: :'(
Live long and prosper!

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 08:02:40 pm »
Well it's really a 'Line' of work.  'Side' meaning side job.  I never thought of the football refference until you mentioned it.  But then i see your in MI. 
Make Mead!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:21:55 pm »
I got called one at my last meeting.

were they being negative? 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:26:58 pm »
were they being negative? 

Oh, absolutely not!  We were interviewing junior beekeeping scholarship applicants, and one of the more senior beekeepers on the scholarship committee was introducing us to the kids.  The two senior members referred to themselves as hobbyists, I was introduced as a sideliner. 

I'd just never heard the term before but didn't think asking during the interview would look very good to the kids or their families, then I forgot to ask later.  The explanation given by Hemlock and Idaxon works for me, it's pretty much what I am! 

And, sorry Ray, I don't find the term offensive at all!  It just means I'm on the field, but not...quite...in the big game.  It's a great view, though! 

Offline SEEYA

• House Bee
  • Poke a meek dog enough times.........!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 11:36:06 pm »
OOOPS! My Bad -Again (getting to be a habit!) :oops: Completely forgot about the term 'sideline job'. "GO BLUE"
Live long and prosper!

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 01:57:54 am »
Hemlock pretty much has it right.

A hobbyist is someone who keeps bees, mostly in their back yard, seeking honey to either eat themselves or give away. If they get a really good harvest they might even sell some.  A hobbyist could have some hives in outlying apiaries.

A sideliner is someone who has a "day job" but has enough hives to hopefully make a little money "on the side" from his/her beekeeping activities.  Beekeeping is not their primary source of income but it is a source of income.

A commercial beekeeper is one who has 500 (that number seems a bit high to me) hives or more and keeping bees is their fulltime occupation.  This is the way it has been explained to me.

Ditto....that's the way I understand the definitions.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

anything