Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: tbh entrance  (Read 3911 times)

Offline ITstings

• New Bee
tbh entrance
« on: March 06, 2009, 06:36:35 pm »
How big should entrance be in tbh . two or three 3/4 holes on top or bottom . should they be top or bottom. thanks for any advice.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: tbh entrance
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:32:27 pm »
There is really no right answer.  The bees are pretty resilient.  I made mine 1/2" x 6", but 3/4" holes will work just as well.   I made one with top entrances and one with bottom entrances.   I would like to say the top entrance was better, but I really have nothing to back that up with.

I have also used the bung hole as an entrance in my barrel hives.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 10:04:15 am »
All of my top bar entrances are just the first bar spaced back from the front 3/8".  I have no holes.  You can adjust it as you like.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beemused

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 10:08:08 pm »
My top bar hives use a bottom entrance but a imperfection in my follower board on one gives them a top rear entrance. They use both. They may have propolised the top one this winter but will see when they get active.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 11:46:01 pm »
My top bar hives use a bottom entrance but a imperfection in my follower board on one gives them a top rear entrance. They use both. They may have propolised the top one this winter but will see when they get active.

They may very well of done that. I have seen it, when the bees have a choice, they will close off the top entrance. I think they do this for enhancing trapped heat. In studies, bees overwhelmingly choose a bottom entrance over a top entrance, when side by side offerings were made. I think the bees know something... ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Daddys Girl

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 05:11:35 pm »

"That which bees do not approve of, they propolize."  --Me

Offline ITstings

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 10:20:45 pm »
thank you for the help.

anything