Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tons of drone/irregular shaped cone and drone larva  (Read 2192 times)

Offline lisbethanne

• New Bee
Tons of drone/irregular shaped cone and drone larva
« on: March 02, 2014, 04:57:03 pm »
Yesterday I opened my second year hive and found the back of one frame was covered in a "U" shaped pattern with irregular type cells felled with one egg and drone larva. The bottom row was capped.  All the other frames had a good laying pattern and was bringing in pollen and had uncapped honey in spots. I of course have never seen this laying pattern and never have I seen so many drone cells. I did see my queen and the hive temperament was very casual. I am in South Texas and the weather is wacky. One day in the 80's then the next in the 40's. Any advice is so appreciated.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: Tons of drone/irregular shaped cone and drone larva
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 06:43:13 pm »
they gona raise so many drones no mater what you do; they brooding up now at yo temps  drone cells then queen cells and then hang on a limb
to bee or not to bee

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 06:50:41 pm »
Be sure they have plenty of empty space to expand to and count your blessings. They are in perfect shape.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline crane

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 01:49:48 am »
Lisbethanne.
Sounds like your hives look exactly like mine. I went into mine a couple weeks ago and sure seemed like I was seeing a lot of drone cells. What scared me was that I didn't see any brood to speak of. I talked with Mark Gretchen and he mentioned that I might have a laying worker since I never saw a queen(like that's something new, me being able to find a queen).
 I am going to keep a close eye on the hive and I have a queen ordered, just in case. This would be her third year so I was going to re-queen anyway.
 Hope the weather straightens up soon. Too darn cold and windy to be in the hives for a few days.

Offline crane

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 01:55:39 am »
I guess I should have mentioned that I am located toward Seguin from you and if you who I think you are, You are near downtown SA.

Offline lisbethanne

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 01:09:36 pm »
I am close to downtown San Antonio. I do not know any beekeepers so I am not who you think I am. I would love to know of any beekeeping clubs or meetings near me if you know any or attend any. Stuff like this put me in a tail spin and everyone has a different opinion. I think I am going to open up the hive tomorrow afternoon since the weather looks agreeable. I don't think I will scrape away the cells but I might move it to the edge as another beekeeper suggested. I have seen my queen and I was thinking of splitting my hive since there is two deeps and one super full of comb. I have already ordered another queen. Thanks for responding Crane

Offline crane

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 10:30:57 pm »
Lisbethanne
 Sorry to presume that I know who you are. You have a beekeeping neighbor that would have a handle VERY similar to yours.
A couple years ago I ran into a fellow named Richard Trevino at the rodeo. He is a bigwig with Alamo area beekeepers assn. I haven't joined the club since they meet at a church in Helotes and that is a long way from Seguin. As far as I know they are the only club in the area. Just google them and their name comes up.
Also for any questions you may have, Mark Gretchen mentored me a bit. He is a busy man but he never fails to take the time to answer any questions I have. They have a website and He and his wife are at the Pearl market every Saturday.
I have been fooling with bees for three years and if I can help.. just ask.
Walley

Offline lisbethanne

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 04:54:39 pm »
Wally- Thank you so much for the information. I don't want to go to Helotes either. I wish there was a group in the NE San Antonio area. I will look up the family at the Pear Market and ask what they did or are doing. I have decided to just let them be. I am going to split in May when I get my new queen so I just hope they last till then. I want to be a low key Bee Keeper and not mess with their work a much as I can. I hope this works.