Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mites (Chippewas Post)  (Read 2114 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Mites (Chippewas Post)
« on: May 13, 2007, 06:42:08 pm »
Sorry but when I attempted to move this topic to disease and pest control it some how got deleted but I back spaced and copied and pasted below, sorry for the inconvenience
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: Mites (Chippewas Post)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 06:42:23 pm »
ChippewaBee
New Bee

Varroa Mite
« on: Today at 02:17:39 PM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well yesterday I did my weekly inspection and found no queen cells and found at least six new bees emerging while I was doing the inspection (pretty cool).  I now have at least 4 full frames drawn and at least two of those being totally sealed with brood.  I was just getting ready to seal everything up when what did I see but a red speck on a single bee.  I looked closer and it was a varroa mite just like the pictures I seen of them.  I am glad I saw the mite but it totally killed the ephoria of my hive doing well!  So.....what is the next step?  I am already using a sbb but from what I read they are not really that effective.  Should I go the chemical route or use drone frames?  How do you get a drone frame?  I know that Michael Bush talks about Natural Cell Size but I have already had them on plastic foundation since installation on April 20th.  Any Ideas what I should do? 

Report to moderator    Logged 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There are lies, darned lies and statistics."
Mark Twain

kathyp
Queen Bee

Re: Varroa Mite
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:30:50 PM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

you'll get a zillion answers on this.  i'll just tell you what i plan, and i'm sure everyone else will do that same

first, you'll have some mites.  you just can't get rid of all of them all the time. 

on my packages, i will use the powdered sugar shake a couple of times before i put the honey supers on.  then i will use Apiguard in the late summer, early fall.  i will apply it as soon as the honey supers come off.  i will probably use it again in the spring, weather permitting.  if it does not warm up fast enough, i'll start with the powdered sugar and then use the Apiguard ASAP.  IMO if you are willing to use lemmongrass, or OA, thymol should be no different. 

You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways.
     -Lan Mandragoran

ChippewaBee
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:14:37 PM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

Kaathyp,  From what I read the powdered sugar shake is for inspections not a preventive measure.  So what you are telling me is I can use powdered sugar to help keep the mites in check?  Whats the story on lemmongrass?   

Mark Twain

doak
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:25:36 PM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

Brushey MT. has Drone foundation. I ordered some and will strat my program as soon as I get my honey crop pulled. You could put two in a strong colony to begin with.  Then take one out when it is capped and replace it with regular foundation.  Then a couple days later remove the second and put the other one back in. Just put in the freezer till ready to put back in the brood chamber. Make sure you let it warm up first. The bees will clean out the dead pupa. I would not try to do this with a necter flow on, too much work. JMO
doak 

JP
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:26:28 PM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

Chippewa bee, since this is a new hive without great numbers sugar shakes can be an aid in removing some of the mites. I think Kathyps given you good advice about some non-chemical methods such as apiguard which I use as well on occassion. Remember that a big strong healthy colony of bees can deal with parasites without the complete demise of the colony. Dadant sells 4.9 wired foundation for deeps if you are using deeps its not a bad way to go. You can order some sheets and introduce them to your hive, in time weeding out what you have now. 

tillie
House Bee

One of "my" bees on Butterfly Weed

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:30:24 PM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

The sugar shakes are easy to do.  Randy Oliver who wrote a series on this for ABJ does one at every inspection to keep the bees cleaning the mites off of themselves.  I use my flour sifter and powdered sugar almost every time I get down to the brood box.  I don't shake powdered sugar over the honey supers during the nectar flow - just the brood box(es).  One hive that nearly died from varroa vectored diseases this past winter is now doing fine and thriving and I see only 4 or 5 varroa in the count 24 hours after a shake.

Linda T in Atlanta 

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You never can tell with bees" - Winnie the Pooh

kathyp
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: Today at 06:58:33 PM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

sorry.  didn't mean to throw you with the lemmongrass thing.  it was more about using outside influences in the hive.  it's not about mite control.  lemmongrass makes a great swarm lure, can entice bees onto foundation they are reluctant to work, and i used it when i hived a bunch of bees i took out of a wall to make them like the new hive.

my feeling about the powdered sugar is that it is useful as part of a varroa control program.  it encourages more grooming and thus dislodging, of the mites.  with a SBB, it helps reduce mite populations.  for some people it seems to be all that they need.  for others, and i think most, it is not enough.  it also does not address the tracheal mite problem.  this is another one of those things that you have to fool around with until you find what works for you.   

You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways.
     -Lan Mandragoran

ChippewaBee
New Bee

« Reply #7 on: Today at 07:19:32 PM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

Ok so what I am going to do is sugar shakes for the rest of the summer and then at the end of the season go with a chemical solution like Mite Away.  I will look into the drone comb also for a remedy and start ordering some of the small comb to replace what I have currently.  I thought when I saw the mite it would start the demise of the entire hive.  I didn't know that alot of hives have mites but they are able to be productive with just a little prevention. 

Mark Twain

tillie
House Bee

One of "my" bees on Butterfly Weed

« Reply #8 on: Today at 07:21:10 PM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic 

Quote from: ChippewaBee on Today at 07:19:32 PM
Ok so what I am going to do is sugar shakes for the rest of the summer and then at the end of the season go with a chemical solution like Mite Away. 

You could do powdered sugar shakes through the season and then decide what to do, if anything, based on your mite count.  It's a little soon to determine if you'll need to use anything more than the bees' grooming to deal with the issue.

Linda T in Atlanta 

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline ChippewaBee

• New Bee
Re: Mites (Chippewas Post)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 03:19:24 am »
Does anyone know where I can get drone foundation?  Everywhere I check it says BACKORDERED!!! 
Mark Twain

anything