Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Video posted on How to Use the Wax Tube Fastener  (Read 8055 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Video posted on How to Use the Wax Tube Fastener
« on: April 26, 2007, 08:51:26 pm »
After all the difficulties I had with the wax tube fastener, I've made a rough video on how to use it.  If anyone would like to see it, here is the link:

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-use-wax-tube-fastener_26.html

Maybe I'm the only confused person, but if you are also challenged by this tool, this video may help.

Linda T no longer confused by the $^* in Atlanta

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
Re: Video posted on How to Use the Wax Tube Fastener
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 09:01:56 pm »
Great video! the wax tube fastener is nothing like I pictured. This video will help a lot of people understand the concept. Thanks for sharing!

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 09:37:51 pm »
Thanks, Zunibee, - I think of you as the video expert, so I'm complimented.  I felt awkward trying to keep my arm out of the camera eye, but it wasn't easy, as you can see!!!  It's so ridiculous that it doesn't come with instructions - it looks like something with a top on it - so I took the top off of my first one and broke it - or at least made it unusable until I reglue it.

Linda T in humid Atlanta

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 11:07:00 pm »
Linda, awesome video, I sent the link to my hubby.  We've got small cell but had no idea how to fasten it into the frames (it's falling out because the wood strip doesn't hold it).  Now we've got some clues!  :-P

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 11:10:42 pm »
Ok Linda what a fantastic video you are just a fantastic person and beekeeper
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 11:18:16 pm »
Reinbeau,

You don't have to have a wax tube fastener to wax the foundation in to the frame. 

Personally I like using the corner of the bread pan that I poured the remainder of the wax into at the end.  It acts like a spoon with a deep valley in the center and I can pour the wax more easily into the groove.  Although I probably waste wax when I use the bread pan because I use a little more than with the wax tube fastener, I do find it easier.....maybe I'll also make a video on alternative ways to wax the foundation into the frame!!!

Kirk-o,  Thanks for your always supportive compliments.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 12:28:55 am »
I like a lot of what you did.  I have never heard of anyone running the was in the groove and then adding the strip.  I do as you do and put it in and then run the bead.  But I tip the frame a little in the other direction and run all the wax at the same place and let the wax run all the way to the other end on it's own.

I like your pan for the jig to hold the frames at an angle.  I've seen pictures in the Walter T. Kelley catalog with a jig that spins around, if I remember right.

I like the chop sticks.

I use a can in an old saucepan as it takes less wax to fill it (it's taller and skinnier) but it also tips over more easily.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 12:33:15 am »
I'm honored that you went and looked at it! 

I tried the tin can which you told me about before, but had to put an empty Coke can in the pan with it to keep it from tipping over, so I didn't want to give Coke any free advertising so I didn't do that in the video!!

Thanks, Michael,

Linda T trying to be a good beekeeper in Atlanta

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 12:59:07 am »
Great video.
I am amazed how clean your kitchen stayed through the whole process. If I did that there would be wax to clean up for a week.

Maybe Dadant will give you a commision.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 02:40:29 am »
Very interesting video, and helpful.  Since I am very new at this, why only have a small strip of foundation on some frames?  Why did one have more of the foundation, and are these avaiable with the foundation already in place??

Sorry for all the questions...

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 10:05:57 am »
Linda T -- cool video's and blog!  I'm inspired.    I enjoyed seeing & meeting your hives, your dog, and you. 

Thanks, Bee1
Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 10:21:11 am »
that was an excellent video. i think in the future i will wax the foundation or strips in rather than nail.
how long does it take for the wax to solidify? a few seconds?

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 11:14:10 am »
The wax hardens really quickly - that's why I put the strips in the groove and then put in the wax bead.  I think the other way around, the wax would harden too fast for the strip to make use of it.  I do leave them top side down (as they are in the pan) for a while to cool - especially the ones with full sized foundation because the weight of the foundation can pull the new wax out of the groove. 

Usually I wax the strips and leave them until the next day when I turn everything right side up and put the frames in the box and put the box on the hive.

Linda T in Atlanta -

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 01:47:30 pm »
DayValleyDahlias,

Let's see.  There are all kinds of ways to do foundation.  I am using starter strips this year for several reasons:

1.  I'm trying to regress my bees to natural cell size and by using a strip of small cell foundation, hopefully they will build the rest of the comb to suit their own size needs rather than a size I presume they need and that I provide.

2.  Small cell is expensive and it's easy to cut with a quilter's rotary cutter and I save money by making one piece of foundation purchased fill 8 boxes or so

3.  Waxed foundation that one purchases is inevitably made with wax from chemically treated hives and by minimizing that I hope my bees are healthier.

The reason I put about 2 almost fully filled foundations in each super is that I had the bad experience of fitting one hive with a super with only starter strips in the frames and the bees got really creative on me and in my mind made a mess (for me) Obviously it would have been fine for them.  With a couple of drawn out frames or a couple fully filled with foundation, the bees have a guide to draw the comb straight, like I want them to for management of the boxes.

Hope that addresses your questions,

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 04:58:58 pm »
Yes, Linda that was very helpful.  I will take heed to your lead...

Sharon

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 11:24:48 am »
Awesome video! Thanks for the clear instructions.

I've never seen starter strips before. I'll have to look those up, but I guess you just cut your own! Great idea!

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 12:48:53 pm »
I buy foundation and cut it into 3/4 inch strips with a rotary cutter on a quilting cutting board - I'm sure others use scissors.

Linda T

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 08:06:01 pm »
Pizza cutter here.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 09:26:23 am »
I was inspired by your video Linda to try the melting wax installing starter strips thing. I don't have the applicator but for some reason we have all these syringes that seem suitable. it worked really well after i developed a routine. thanks!

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 01:02:26 pm »
nice video, very educational-for those who are in doubts and need a guide!
cutting starter strips--oh com' on, it's not that big of a deal, i just use my hive tool-an all-purpose-beekeeping-knife :).

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2007, 04:03:45 pm »
Thanks, Mici.  Glad you liked the video.  It was fun to make. 

I guess cutting starter strips feels a little big deal to me because after I've spent all that money on that foundation, I want them to come out right.  I'm impressed you use the hive tool - if I did, I know it would tear - the SC foundation feels fragile to me as it is.   

And I'm an oldest child so I'm always worried about doing stuff right.  I'm always envious of my youngest daughter who is the biggest risk taker in the family - comes with the birth order position....

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 11:14:18 pm »
I knew I'd seen instructions.  I found two of these today.  Maybe you guys didn't buy your's from Walter T. Kelley?  Here they are (minus the pictures):

"DIRECTIONS FOR USING THE WAX TUBE FASTENER

"Melt the wax or paraffine to be used in a clean tin can or any convenient receptacle.  It is advisable to use a tall can with a narrow diameter so that not much wax is required to raise the height sufficiently to fill the tube nearly full.

"DANGER.  Wax and paraffine are inflammable.  Keep close track of this material when you have it over a burner.  To be safe set the can in a pot of boiling water- this will take a little longer, but will be a whole lot safer.  Beeswax is better than parafine because the melting point is about 20 degrees higher.  Heat your wax to about 190 degrees so that it will sink into the wood and make a firm bond.  If you barely melt your wax, it will only make a coating on the wood and will peel off.  On the other hand, if you get the wax too hot it will melt holes out of your sheets of foundation.

"When the wax is hot, insert the wax tube and let it remain in the liquid a few minutes to warm up.  When ready to use, place your thumb over the small hole in the handle; this will create a vacuum in the top of the tube and prevent it from running out the outlet, holding the frame up-side-down with the sheet of comb foundation in the grooved top bar and slightly inclined.  With the wax tube in position, slightly raise the thumb from the hole, allowing the small stream of wax to run into the groove.  Move the wax tube the length of the top bar so as to evenly fill up the groove.

"If you have several supers of grooved top bar frames, it will pay you to construct a jig to hold the frames and the foundation along the lines pictured.  Any available scrap material can be used.  ¾” x2” material will make good material, about ½” wider than the frames.

"Make the jig of convenient working height with the 2 legs nailed to the long strips as pictured at about a 15 degree slant, and attach a 3rd. leg to the middle back with a steel hinge or leather strap, so that the leg can be folded flat against the jig for convenient storage, and so that the jig can be adjusted away from vertical 15 to 20 degrees so that the sheets of foundation will lay in position.

"You need forms some smaller than the insides of the frames to hold the frames in place and to support the sheets of foundation, and these can be strips as pictured, or solid pieces, and it is important that the strip or edge next to the sheets will slip into the groove freely.  Nail the strips or forms to the long boards for a loose fit, put the frames in position, insert the foundation, and wax in the whole lot of foundation as described above.

"THE WALTER T. KELLEY COMPANY CLARKSON, KENTUCKY U. S. A."
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 01:07:40 am »
Thank you, Michael - I ordered mine from Dadant - when they arrived I shook the box, went through the packing material - looked everywhere but there were no instructions.  Each $^* was individually (I ordered two) wrapped in brown paper - and they were just lonely little wax tube fasteners in plain brown paper - no instructions to be found. 

Next time Walt Kelley Company gets my business! 

Actually I just got a package from Walt Kelley company with 7-11 foundation and several other things - I should have ordered my WTFs from him....oh, well, it was fun making the video and klutzing my way through figuring it out on my own.  Like everything else in beekeeping, I seem to learn much more from doing than trying to understand it ahead of time.

Linda T