Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: liability of hives?  (Read 2618 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
liability of hives?
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:36:12 pm »
i did a search with no luck. i've had some landownwers ask what is their liabilty if my hives sre on their propery?

Offline BlevinsBees

• House Bee
    • Habitat for Honeybees
Re: liability of hives?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:23:52 am »
Good question. I've had land owners request I list them as "additionally insured" on my insurance policy (which I don't have).
President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com

Offline Richard

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:32:37 am »
I’d say they’re liable to get some honey.  :lau:

I found some information on this the other day at http://www.gobeekeeping.com/LL%20lesson%20six.htm

hope it helps,
Richard

[Read the full page at the link above]

Bee Law and what you should know

Based on past applications of  the law we can point out the following:

Possession of bees

Blackstone Commentaries, Book II divides the entire animal kingdom into two classes.  Domesticated animals (ferae domitia) and wild (ferae naturae).   Wild animals are also divided into two classes -- those free to roam at will and those which have been subjected to man's dominion.

The honey bee that exist in the wild (lives in a tree cavity) is little different from the honey bee that lives within a man-made hive.   However, honey bees do swarm and thus are free to roam at will.  Honey bees do not trespass and the owner of property has no title to wild things using his property.  The owner of property can prevent others from coming onto his/her property and taking them and the property owner has a right to capture a swarm and hive it.    Trespassing is a violation of the law and is enforceable.

"So long as bees remain in the hive of the claimant and on his premises or premises under his control, they are his." (Supra.§ 5).

It is when they leave his/her hive and premises, as in swarming, that complications arise.  Case law has reflected the general idea that as long as the beekeeper keeps the swarm in sight and can identify them has his/hers, the beekeeper retains ownership of the bees.  However, in getting the bees hived, one may be charged with trespassing.   

Liability

Negligence means the failure to exercise the care of an ordinarily prudent person.  The liability of beekeepers appears often in the code of law.  Since bees sting by nature, it is necessary for any plaintiff to show that the owner of honey bees is negligent in his care of the bees.   In any case of injury by honey bees the plaintiff  will have to show that the bees were vicious, provide proof they were vicious, and inform the owner of the bees that they were vicious.   If the owner of the honey bees failed to correct the problem and the bees continued to be vicious, a basis exist for a claim of negligence.

The beekeeper has control over the following and can be considered negligent if he/she fails to observe the exercise of an ordinary prudent person.

The owner of bees has  entire control over where bee hives are located.    It is negligence to locate hives of bees where they may be expected to injure others.     Bees located on a lot line is not a prudent location for bee hives.   Or keeping a large number of bees on a small property.   It is also negligent to handle bees at a time or in a manner that will cause the bees to injure others.

The owner of bees has entire control over bees being moved from one location to another. It is negligence to move bees without some protection to those along the route the bees will take to the next location.    Some states require a bee net to cover a load of bees in transit. Bees should be secured to avoid accidental spills.  ` Bees should not be moved during heavy traffic hours and in congested living areas.  To avoid a charge of negligence, a beekeeper should close the entrances on the bee hives or cover the hives so loose bees would not escape from the hive.
The owner of bees has some control over the aggressiveness of his/her bees.   It is negligence to know that you have aggressive bees.   If it can be proved that you harbor aggressive bees you are failing to exercise the common practice of replacing these aggressive bee with gentle stock.  Since the invasion of the Africanized honey bee, most states have enacted laws dealing with them (calling for their destruction).

Contracts

A contract is an agreement between two parties.  It can not be broken without the agreement of both parties.   The terms spelled out in the contract are binding ...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:51:29 am by Richard »

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 01:52:03 pm »
so it looks like- if the hives are placed away from areas of activity, away from property lines, warning signs are posted, & the hives are not aggressive everything should be fine. ??? what about trespassers?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:38:13 pm »
Shoot them.    :-D

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 03:51:08 pm »
believe me when my hives were turned over last winter i thought about it. i have some old sheridan pump up pellet rifles. 3 or 4 pumps would not break the skin but sure would sting someone's behind........

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 06:38:05 pm »
Go on, give it 5 or 6 pumps, break some skin! You know you want to!

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 08:33:49 pm »
that would take me into a whole new realm of liabilty. a 20 gauge loaded with rock salt would provide a lot more satisfaction tho.....

anything