Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen ID (images attached)  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Pollen ID (images attached)
« on: July 05, 2007, 06:05:29 pm »
Greetings fellow beeks,

Requesting an ID on this pollen just harvested from my hives located in Oregon (Hillsboro), adjacent wetlands then suburbia and farmland.  I know the gray is blackberry and am suspecting the orange is aster or goldenrod dandelion.  No idea on the very dark pollen ~ perhaps a purple prairie or crimson clover.  This combo makes for some of the best honey I've every sampled.  I'm getting similar feedback from the few (so far) others who've tried it.  At any rate, very curious and appreciate any input on the possible sources of this pollen.

Cheers,
Dane

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Pollen ID (images attached)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 10:04:18 pm »
As far as color of pollen; something interesting is that poison oak makes orange pollen also. ;)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 10:18:11 pm »
As far as color of pollen; something interesting is that poison oak makes orange pollen also. ;)

I've a friend who resides in the Santa Cruz hills who is constantly battling the poison oak.  I've not seen any near my apiary but do have loads of ~>

all over the wetlands.
I imagine poison oak honey, pollen, etc., would make for an excellent homeopathic remedy.  I've thankfully never experienced the effects of that but have heard of some horror stories.

I'm almost certain it's predominantly blackberry, purple prairie clover & dandelion (that would explain the flavor of the honey a bit as well), but I'll try to get some pics of the flowers currently blooming in my area as well.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 10:26:59 pm »
Pollen Is cool just remember let the bees keep some. many people believe that during a flow if you collect pollen that they have to pull double duty to bring it in and you lose that time of bringing in honey. I dont know but it sounds sensible to me   RDY-B

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 10:46:23 pm »

anything