Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to expect with a new package going foundationless?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
What to expect with a new package going foundationless?
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:35:27 pm »
I installed my package yesterday in temps just about 50 degrees. Today is in the high 80s and the bees seem to be gathering at the entrance and balling up on the outside, underside, of the outer cover. I put a frame feeder inside with some global patty on top of the frames. Are the bees just gathering their sences, are they wondering if they should take off, should I give them a few more days before opening the hive to put more syrup in? Just so everyone knows our order, another beek here, was shorted three packages and two queens. If someone gets those please let me know  :-D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: What to expect with a new package going foundationless?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:10:19 pm »
If a lot are gathering outside, I'd put a few drops of lemongrass essential oil in the hive if you have it.  A squirt of Lemon Pledge if you don't.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: What to expect with a new package going foundationless?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:19:07 pm »
Got some! Ill release the queen tomorrow and hopefully it will help. Ill check them tomorrow and fill up the feeder. If the lemongrass and the queen dont help Ill put the cut out frame from the one hive in. Its all natural so it should help.