Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Knowing When There Is A Flow?  (Read 2886 times)

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
Knowing When There Is A Flow?
« on: March 17, 2016, 02:29:04 am »
G'day,

A lot of beekeeping advice seems to revolve around 'is there a flow on?'. This makes perfect sense, but for a beginner beekeeper I guess my answer for the most part would be "I dunno".. What is the best way to know whether there is a flow on? I suppose knowing which trees/flowers are blooming is key, but as a beginner I also have no idea about that information.

Any ideas?

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
Re: Knowing When There Is A Flow?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:44:08 am »
If your not a migratory beekeeper then it's all a bit easier. Get to know your neighbourhood. When there is a lot of a particular variety e.g. street trees that have been planted in your area. Or if your in a more natural setting the local council will have an indigenous plant list.
It's not the singular planting that you will recognize as honey flow, it's the mass that will show you what the flowers taste like in your neighborhood.  That I s mass plantings and very popular plants that are in every garden.
Use your eyes.
Watching bees return home tells you the most about your hives. First watch for pollen returning on the bees legs. The colour and ttexture will help you to then go back to the flowering plants around your area. Watching for pollen is easier than observing bees returning home with water or nectar. That's something that you learn over time. (It's the way they fly, land etc on their return, but you need to be there sorry I can't explain it)
Use your ears.
Listen for the bees in the trees.
Use your nose.
When you can smell honey that is fresh in the hive, close your eyes and take in a big deep breath and see if the smell clicks an image of a plant in your brain.
 Find out when those local trees flower, then find out when they bud and watch their progress.
It's the little things you'll pick up all the way that will be most valuable either your own observations or tips from other beeks or gardeners.
And remember every year is different.
Send any photos or questions our way and someone will know.
Good luck and bee good.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Knowing When There Is A Flow?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:34:13 pm »
An old time beekeeper once said "catch a returning bee, without pollen, and squeeze it. You will squeeze out its stomach contents" Never tried it.
When the flow is on and you open up a hive they are usually calm, during a dearth, the bees will bee agitated, and the other bees in your apiary will quickly try to start robbing out that hive. It will get out of hand real quick. Many a time I have tried to remove honey during a dearth and had to stop half way into opening up the second hive.
Feel the weight of half of the hive weight. Leave about 1" overhang on the back of the hives and lift them just enough to feel the weight. When you do this on a regular basis, you will notice they are adding weight  real quick, during a good flow.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything