Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Which Beekeeping Supply Co. has the best deal on a....  (Read 8696 times)

Offline krb7694

• New Bee
Which Beekeeping Supply Co. has the best deal on a....
« on: September 13, 2006, 12:24:36 am »
Hobbyist Starter Kit?

I have looked at alot of catelogs. Some are cheaper than others but I am not  educated enough yet to know what is a good price? I plan on just having 2-3 hives in my backyard. I know you just start with one hive though.

Any thoughts?

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 02:38:42 am »
I concur with Hi-Tech.  Starter kits too often don't give you enough of what you need and too much of what you don't need.  It is best to determine which philosophy to follow: deep brood boxes or uniformity of equipment.  I advocate the uniformity of equipment strongly.  Read the Beekeeping from a wheelchair column on uniformity at www.beekeepersvoice.com before you decide.  
When you decide which approach buy the specific equipment you need.  Volume will give you better discounts than the starter kits and none of the unneeded equipment like boardman feeders and queen excluders.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 10:09:15 am »
By the way... I would consider starting with two hives... It is actually easier because you have something to compare them to...
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline krb7694

• New Bee
Thanks for the advice.. A few more questions..
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 12:04:14 pm »
I like the two Hive idea too. Please excuse my ignorance. I do have a Beekeeping handbook coming in the mail that I will read but right now I just don't know very much about bees. I had to ask alot of questions when I first started keeping poultry too. I have learned alot but still have a bit to learn.

If I start with two hives, I will have to buy double on some items. What extra would I have to buy to start with two hives?

Also, once I have two healthy hives going, How many quart jars of honey should I get per month? I'm just curious.

Thanks

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 12:07:47 pm »
If you're buying thru the websites or catalog, I have found the prices between all the popular suppliers to be very close, so the savings would be in the shipping. Find the closest one, if you can drive there, better yet. I deal exclusively with Betterbee because the woodenware is of canadian pine and cut thicker, transit time is 1 or 2 days, the customer service has been excellent.

Offline pembroke

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 02:42:33 pm »
I use Kelly's Beekeeping supplys in Clarkson Ky. 1-800-233-2899. I can drive there in about an hour or they deliver in about a day or two. Price is comparable with others. Pembroke

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 04:21:26 pm »
before you do the catalog thing, see if there is a bee supply place anywhere near you.  i have gotten invaluable help from the local store.  they know about local conditions and what i need for our area.  also, check your community college or ag extension programs.  they may have a class or two that not only will help you learn, but again, help you target your purchases toward what you need for your area.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 09:12:12 pm »
>Which Beekeeping Supply Co. has the best deal on a Hobbyist Starter Kit?

IMO.  None of them.

"If you pay attention to the rest of this you'll see that hardly anything I WOULD buy is in a starter kit."

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm

A starter kit will have deeps wich will weigh 90 pounds full of honey.  I'd buy mediums.  It will have ten frame boxes.  I'd buy eight frame medium boxes for everything which will weigh no more than 50 pounds ever when full of honey.  It will have a small smoker.  I'd buy a big one because it will stay lit better.  They will have a standard hive tool.  I'd buy the Italian one from Brushy Mt.  Theyll have a standard bottom baord.  I'd buy a Screened Bottom Board.  They'll have an excluder.  I'd save my money.  They'll have beekeepers gloves.  I'd buy a jacket and tuck in normal gloves.  They'll sell you a veil.  I'd buy a jacket with a zip on veil.  They'll sell you standard cell plastic foundation.  I'd use small cell wax foundation or none.

I would not recommend any of the starter kits I've seen.  The NEAREST one I'd recommend is the medium depth garden hive from Brushy Mt.  It will  still have plastic foundation, but it will have the screened bottom board (if you buy the right one) and all eight frame mediums.  The rest will still not be what I'd buy though...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Fannbee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 09:50:35 pm »
I do not know of any retail stores for beekeeping equipment in Miss.  I would check the Memphis area.   If there is one, please let me know. There is a beekeeping association in your area.

NE Mississippi Beekeeper's Assn.
 Contact Mr. Gerald Jetton
 20495 Highway 23 North
 Tremont, MS 38876
 Phone: (662) 652-3446

Call they will help you.

Also Google Mississippi Beekeepers Association, and you will get the state chapter.

Good luck
Chuck and Fran

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 09:53:47 pm »
when i started last spring i went to brushy mountain and the salesperson there was very helpful and didn't try to get me to buy stuff i wouldn't really need. i did a lot of reading about what i would need first.
if you buy and have the supplies and equipment shipped the shipping costs can be pretty high.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 01:48:08 am »
Decide what you need like MB describes, it's excellent advise.  I would also add 2 extra boxes (w/frames) and an extra top and screened bottom board inorder to take advantage of hiving a swarm or catching a swarm out of your own hives.  Packaged bees have been know to swarm mid-season if too many mistakes are made.  

>>Also, once I have two healthy hives going, How many quart jars of honey should I get per month? I'm just curious.

Honey is computed in pounds, 2.5 lbs to the quart.  Most beekeepers elect to harvest once each year in late August or September, although you can extract each super as it's filled but that's a lot of extra work.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Grant

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 11:39:09 am »

Offline tigerfankk

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 02:25:09 pm »
I did a lot of research and www.betterbee.com had the best price when i bought back in march.
http://betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=219
you'll need a suit as well.
good luck.

Offline bee whisper

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 06:42:09 pm »
I buy most of my bee keeping supplies from Brushy mountain. They are great.when I got started I was going to buy a full cotton bee suit,and they told me I didn't need one.Not too many sales people would do that. I am sure gladd.I wouldn't have worn it My advice.Join a bee keeping club,and talk to as many beekeepers as you can.Work with someones bees if you can.But be advised: there are many opinions, and ways of bee keeping.Good luck!

Offline nhbloke

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 07:45:25 pm »
I got my hive and some of my supplies from Brushy Mountian at the beginning of the year, the bee school i went to got a deal from them for free shipping for my first order which was a great saving, plus i fell in love with there garden hive. The money saved more than payed for the bee school   John