Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: meal worms  (Read 2011 times)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
meal worms
« on: July 08, 2023, 06:18:54 pm »
Anybody ever try raising them?  I thought about getting some at the feed store for the chickens but the cost was crazy.  Started looking into raising them and it seems easy enough.  (famous last words)
For less than the cost of the container at the feed store, I have ordered the worms and already had everything else I needed to get started. 

Any helpful hints would be appreciated!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: meal worms
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 07:09:47 pm »
A tube of bran and a few slices of potato for water and the worms will turn into bugs and lay more eggs for more worms. I raised them for my Bearded Dragons.  They ate both worms and bugs. The chickens will, too.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 08:16:13 pm »
Cool!  My sisters will be into hearing about this.  They might want to try it for their chickens.  Keep us updated!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 09:51:43 pm »
I raised them for my Bearded Dragons.  They ate both worms and bugs. The chickens will, too.

I am doing it for the chickens.  My son feeds them to his bearded dragon and pays a fortune for them.  I am doing this first batch in oatmeal because that's what I have on hand.  Since I already had almost everything, my startup cost is about 30 dollars.

Cool!  My sisters will be into hearing about this.  They might want to try it for their chickens.  Keep us updated!

If she really is interested I'll give you the link to the website I found that had the best info and the place from which I ordered the meal worms to start.  They were super helpful. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 09:54:55 pm »
If she really is interested I'll give you the link to the website I found that had the best info and the place from which I ordered the meal worms to start.  They were super helpful.
Gimme, gimme!  :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 10:15:43 pm »
https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/mealworm-farm/

https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/shop-mealworms/

Enjoy!
The first is the page that tells about raising them.  I read a bunch but this was the best.
The second is the place that sells meal worms and they were very responsive online. 

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2023, 10:40:31 pm »
A tube of bran and a few slices of potato for water and the worms will turn into bugs and lay more eggs for more worms.
Yes, it is that easy! Back in the 70's had an uncle who raised feeder animals for the Atlanta zoo. Forbidden to bring home rats or mice!! But he managed to talk my mom into letting me have some 'Golden Grubs' as he called them. Lived for many many years despite all the neglect a young teen could provided :oops: In an old 5 or 10 gallon fish tank in the crawl space so they need minimal light. 

anything