Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brrrr....winters coming!  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Honey_flow

• Brood
Brrrr....winters coming!
« on: September 05, 2006, 02:26:33 pm »
I have  a question...how can I feed my bees during the winter? all answers are appricated THANKS  :lol:  8)  :D
never been stung

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Brrrr....winters coming!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 02:31:41 pm »
during the winter you don't feed the bees. you feed them in the fall, so they store the food.

Offline ian michael davison

• House Bee
Brrrr....winters coming!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 04:01:33 pm »
Hi all

As Mici says the best bet is to get all your feeding done in the Autunm. But should the need arise and the hive gets short of food, sugar candy or bakers fondant can be placed above th cluster without causing any problems.

Regards Ian

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Brrrr....winters coming!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 04:39:38 pm »
I give so much sugar in autumn that I need not feed hives normaly in spring. I take food combs from other hives if they have too much. I  too pour direct into combs syrup if they are short.

I may put a box of syrup combs under the brood box and they move food upstairs. I have never used fondants.

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Brrrr....winters coming!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 01:50:50 am »
[I never use fondants]

Why is that? Around here it is very common though I have yet to try it. The main reason seems to be due to it's ability to aid in the problem of moisture in the hive; it gives none off like syrup can and it can even absorb rising moisture if it's placed at the top of the hive. We can have rather severe winters here though lately they have not been. [/quote]

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Brrrr....winters coming!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 11:40:27 pm »
I've learned the hard way, don't let the immediate past fool you.  That was before we started with bees so it probably has no bearing on this.

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

anything