Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chiggers....Wearing me out!  (Read 6555 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
Re: Chiggers....Wearing me out!
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 01:32:58 pm »
while the nail polish does seem to help the suffocation part is a wive's tale. the mo. conservation magazine did a write-up a few years ago about them. the chigger is NOT burrowed into your skin. what you are dealing with is a reaction to the bite only

Moots

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 03:10:33 pm »
We got chiggers and seed ticks here in Central Arkansas
I spray my ankles and socks with Repel every mawn'n.
That took care of my chigger problems.
But if you forget to put it on every day they'll remind you to next time.

Capt.
Yeah, I'm thinking that'll do the trick....at least I hope so.  :)

The downside is that'll work fine for when I'm going out there to really work my bees.  However, being a newbie, I really love just swinging by the hives when I have 5 or 10 minutes to spare just to watch for a while, maybe on my lunch hour, or just after work.  Now if I've got to spray myself down every time, that's a less appealing option.  :(

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 05:47:17 pm »

Don and iddee,
WOW!  Such knowledge, wisdom, and good advice....And to think y'all are willing to share this wealth of experience totally selflessly while asking for and expecting nothing in return, other than the personal satisfaction of knowing you have helped a fellow Beek!  Your kindness truly is impressive, the forum is very fortunate to have the two of you as members!  :-D

Aw shucks your welcome, glad to help. Say if you want to, schawee's given me some good help over the years, buy him a shake for me if you see him.

Don

Moots

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 06:17:03 pm »

Aw shucks your welcome, glad to help. Say if you want to, schawee's given me some good help over the years, buy him a shake for me if you see him.

Don

Don,
I actually talked to Schawee this morning!   :)  I had a couple of swarms at a local park that I really couldn't break away from work to mess with, I wanted to pass them on to him.  Unfortunately, he's still a little down and out from his knee replacement surgery.  If the opportunity presents itself, I'll certainly get him that shake, he's helped me out on more than a few occasions.  :)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 07:49:36 pm »
another thing, if you realize you've been exposed and didn't have any protection on.., take a hot shower. Hot as you can tolerate. We can take hot water that will kill the insects.

I'm still a S.O.S. fan. As most folks know, when you get engaged with a energy demanding project in the summer time, around here your clothing will soak through from sweat. Even your shoes will be wet. That's why I recommended putting it on a couple of times. A hot shower is a good backup plan tho.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 09:52:32 pm »

Just rub some poison ivy on the skin from the knees up. You will never notice that the chiggers are even there.

:lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:

If I did that I'd be in the hospital. :)

Or dead!
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 08:16:25 pm »
spraying up with deep wood off before wandering out will help the most.  Do not forget though that chiggers are soft bodied critters that do not latch on like ticks do.  AFTER being outside rub your legs and exposed areas.  The chiggers will simply fall off.  Do it in a shower and send them down the drain.

Also, put wart remover on a bite spot as SOON as it starts itching/reacting.  Keep it on for a few minutes only.  For some reason it clears everything up.
Make Mead!

Offline dennis2021

• House Bee
    • Orlando Bee Removal Expert
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 03:41:55 pm »
another thing, if you realize you've been exposed and didn't have any protection on.., take a hot shower. Hot as you can tolerate. We can take hot water that will kill the insects.

I'm still a S.O.S. fan. As most folks know, when you get engaged with a energy demanding project in the summer time, around here your clothing will soak through from sweat. Even your shoes will be wet. That's why I recommended putting it on a couple of times. A hot shower is a good backup plan tho.

The heat destroys the histamine. The hotter the better. Last for about 4 hours. Hair dryer works best!
Have a sweet day,
Dennis the Bee Guy

Offline itsme

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 04:17:09 pm »
Yeah, that poison Ivy trick really works!  Just kidding.  It was kinda funny though.

You all have to know more than me about it but I have heard that Diatomacious Earth kills bees if they get into it.  I would be interested in hearing thoughts on that from people on this list.

You do know that if you periodically rub your legs, waist, etc. you can kill the chiggers before they do any damage, right?  It's worth a try if you don't like wearing pesticides.  ;-)  Another thing to do is tuck your pants into your socks or some other such thing to create a barrier (although this is better with ticks).

I've tried the skin so soft and it works too, at least for some bugs like mosquitos.  I'm not sure about chiggers.  It's greasy though.

Good Luck!

Moots

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 05:16:56 pm »
Yeah, that poison Ivy trick really works!  Just kidding.  It was kinda funny though.

You all have to know more than me about it but I have heard that Diatomacious Earth kills bees if they get into it.  I would be interested in hearing thoughts on that from people on this list.

itsme,
Yeah, that iddee is a regular barrel of laughs sometimes.  :laugh:

As for the Diatomacious Earth, I bought some and did one application around my hives. Haven't noticed any negative affect on the bees. I do know that the guy at the store suggested using it when I told him it was for around my bee hives, and he's pretty knowledgeable.   Also, I've seen the fat bee man in one of his youtube videos suggesting its use around hives to combat SHB's.

Offline hiram.ga.bee.man

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 11:08:02 pm »
I concur with capt44. Never go outside in Georgia from mid spring to mid fall without spraying deep woods off  on my socks. Also put it on just before inspecting my hives to keep bees running up the inside of pant legs.
You ever notice that prices are inflating, but wages are deflating?

Moots

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 11:43:39 pm »
I concur with capt44. Never go outside in Georgia from mid spring to mid fall without spraying deep woods off  on my socks. Also put it on just before inspecting my hives to keep bees running up the inside of pant legs.

hiram,
Agreed, I took the Capt's advice and started spraying my boots, socks and bottom of my pants legs with Off.  Works like a charm, hadn't had an issue since I started that practice weeks ago.  :)

Didn't mention it in my earlier post b/c I was on the iPhone and typing with the thumbs, so was trying to keep it short.  :-D

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 02:48:25 am »
Dang it, Moots; I don't need to hear that something as simple as bug repellant works! I need an excuse to go buy these:

"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Moots

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 09:08:03 am »
Dang it, Moots; I don't need to hear that something as simple as bug repellant works! I need an excuse to go buy these:

JPinMO,
I say go for it.   :-D

What is it with women and their love of footwear anyway?  :?

However, as my friends and I always say....if you want something bad enough, you can rationalize anything.   :laugh:

After all, I'm a first year Beek that has managed to justify, in my mind, the need for a motorized extractor and a truck. :lau:

Offline Palouse

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 12:54:27 pm »

After all, I'm a first year Beek that has managed to justify, in my mind, the need for a motorized extractor and a truck. :lau:

I need to show my wife this post.

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 11:52:52 pm »
JPinMO,
I say go for it.   :-D

What is it with women and their love of footwear anyway?  :?

Actually, I hate shoe shopping; I apparently have plantar fasciitis, and even good supportive sneakers keep me comfortable for only an hour.  :(
I really started thinking about a pair of muck boots after working at an auction in several inches of mud this spring, and found these at my local farm & home. (where we can grab a box of foundation)

Even though we just bought a home two years ago, I have wondered about buying a little land outside of town so we can have a "Bee Farm." Then maybe we could have some write-offs like a truck, maybe a computer and printer (for honey labels, of course), internet service (must advertise and keep in touch with customers).... :lau: :lau: :lau:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:04:37 am by JPinMO »
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

anything