Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm trap  (Read 2187 times)

Offline jlk

• New Bee
swarm trap
« on: January 08, 2011, 02:24:48 pm »
hey new to the forum here. whats the best way or place to put a five frame nuc as a swarm trap? I have a ferimone lure to put inside.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: swarm trap
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 03:42:17 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  I like treelines with southern exposures that are thick enough only morning sun gets to them.  Definitely search swarm training placement for additional answers.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:52:23 am by D Coates »
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 09:22:23 pm »
Place one on top of the wood pile (12 foot high), 2 on the rail of the back porch (16 foot high), one on top of an 8 foot ladder and one on top of my brick pile (5 foot high).  And that is just in the back yard (very big).  :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:04:59 pm »
hey new to the forum here. whats the best way or place to put a five frame nuc as a swarm trap? I have a ferimone lure to put inside.

I kinda like what Bud does if you can get the nuc to hang fairly level. He throws a thick string over a limb and hoists the trap up about 10-12'.

He checks them fairly regularly and when he gets a swarm he just lowers the trap down and proceeds forward.

Other than that, placing several traps out at different locations is the way to go.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 10:57:08 pm »

I kinda like what Bud does if you can get the nuc to hang fairly level. He throws a thick string over a limb and hoists the trap up about 10-12'.

He checks them fairly regularly and when he gets a swarm he just lowers the trap down and proceeds forward.

Other than that, placing several traps out at different locations is the way to go.

...JP
 yea i have seen pictures of topbar hives being hung this way-in AFRICA ---RDY-B

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 11:51:38 pm »
I tie a rope around mine and pull them up to 12 to 15 feet.  have had them on the southern edge of the woods.  In the middle of the woods by the creek and out in the open all with about the same success.  Best swarms have been deep in the woods?   I use a standard size deep with one drawn frame and nine foundationless frames.  I put a few drops of lemon grass oil on the inside of the box and few more on the outside and leave it bee.   Did real well last year.  Had out three swarm traps and ended up catching five swarms. 

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 06:32:58 pm »
i use tree lines and bayou side trees here. 4 or 5 frame nuc hung 8 to 10 feet above the ground work very well. i scatter them around where i think bees might be and then continue to hit the productive areas
that i find. and move ones that dont produce to new prospective swarm sites.
one site i trap usually gets 2 to 3 swarms every spring. others give only one a season.
some areas just suck.
gotta keep looking and expanding your trap line

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.