Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Combine, split, or?  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Caryw

• New Bee
Combine, split, or?
« on: April 14, 2008, 02:29:02 am »
Hi all.  Any advice will be appreciated!

I have 2 hives in my yard, and have been told that I can only have 1 (for the sake of the relationship, I will comply...).  Both were started last spring.  #1 did great, produced a fair amount of honey, and survived the winter in 2 deeps.  #2 was a misfit from the start, never really took off.  I killed the queen/let the hive requeen in Sept, and kept an in-hive feeder full of 2:1 syrup all winter (which they took well).   

Hive #1 is OK -- not real active, but alive (not opened it yet to assess).  #2 is going GANGBUSTERS... Very active, lots of bees.  Both bodies are nearly full, brood and honey (syrup I imagine). 

Back to the question:  To make 1 out of these 2.  Options are:
a) Newspaper combine, kill a queen 1st.  The resulting hive is 4 deeps -- what to do then? I'd rather not need a ladder to inspect...
b) Split.  Pack as much into a 3rd deep for 1 hive using brood and stores from the other -- but then it seems like a lot will be lost (including a large # of bees).
c) Another option?

Thanks!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Combine, split, or?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 08:13:58 am »
You always need two hives to deal with the issue of possible queenlessness.  A frame of brood is the answer to the question and a frame of brood every week for a few weeks is the cure for laying workers. You should never have less than two or you will have no recourse in those situations.

But assuming that has already been decided, I'd just do a newspaper combine and don't worry about the queens.  By fall they will have settled into one or two of the brood boxes, and assuming no chemicals in the hive, you can harvest the other two.  You will need something to put the frames in as the boxes will weigh 90 pounds full of honey.  A five frame nuc box is probably a good plan.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Caryw

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:30:06 am »
Michael-

Thank you for the reply.  So to clarify, newspaper combine with all 4 hive bodies, leave things alone until this fall at which time I can remove 2 of the bodies not being used to raise brood?

I have considered the problems you mention -- a friend and I are setting up 4 new hives as we speak on her property (close enough to transport a frame or 2 of brood, but farther than I'd like to transport a whole hive).

thanks!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 11:30:48 pm »
> So to clarify, newspaper combine with all 4 hive bodies, leave things alone until this fall at which time I can remove 2 of the bodies not being used to raise brood?

That's what I'd do.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 12:56:36 am »
How's that saying go again?

My wife said its me or the bees, I'm sure gonna miss her! :-D :-*

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 04:22:38 am »
Another option is to sell it to me!  Are you right in Seattle or near it?  I'm about 50 miles away from downtown out in Buckley and I could pick it up if you wanted to go that route.

Just a thought...

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 10:20:30 pm »
Caryw,

All PNW beekeepers on this forum are invited to my house the Sunday before Labor Day for a BBQ and yarn session.  Come on up to the Gateway to the San Juans and enjoy a day with other beeks.  I'm sure my beeyard will be a center of interest as I do things a tad different than most.  Welcome to the forum and don't hestiate to PM if you have questions--I'm only 1 hour 1/2 away from downtown Seattle.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!