Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: guard bees out front?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline fthomas

• New Bee
guard bees out front?
« on: May 27, 2006, 10:22:38 pm »
I suspect this is nothing to worry about but was wondering about the behavior. Yesterday after checking my 2 hives I noticed one bee in front of one of the entrances.  I thought she was a guard because she touched every bee that landed near her. She never stopped any of the arriving bees. Today I noticed that both of my hives had at least 3 bees behaving the same way.  Both of the hives are pretty busy with waves of bees arrivng with nectar..I am not seeing a lot with pollen currently.  What little has been mentioned about guards in my reading it always appeared that they were just inside the hive entrance.  Is this normal or could there be some robbing?
Also of note is that I did have ants yesterday and put out some of "special" grape jelly that they like so much  :)  The ant isssue is reduced but not eliminated from one hive

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
guard bees out front?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 11:14:12 pm »
Guard bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
guard bees out front?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 12:31:07 am »
When a honey flow is on or on days where there is a lot of activity (especially following a prolonged rain) it is not uncommon to see guard bees all the way out to the lip of the BB.  The greater the activity the more guard bees you should see.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline fthomas

• New Bee
guard bees out front?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 10:08:11 am »
thanks, those were the answers I was hoping for

anything