Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to cut handles on hive?  (Read 6187 times)

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
How to cut handles on hive?
« on: October 24, 2009, 02:59:13 pm »
I did a search but nothing came up. What is the best way to cut handles?
Bobby

bigbearomaha

Re: How to cut handles on hive?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 03:21:51 pm »
carefully?

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 04:00:17 pm »
I don't know about best, but here are a couple...
Thread on woodworking...
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 04:11:18 pm »
I plunge cut mine with a dado blade. NOTE: This is dangerous and I don't recommend it!

Offline pom51

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 04:42:33 pm »
I also cut mine on a dado blade but I mark the center of the hive then assy it so that i can keep my fingers away from saw blade works well for me.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 09:40:16 pm »
A plunge router with a 3/4 in. bit.  Make a jig to place the hand hold where you want it.

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 09:48:56 pm »
Thanks for the help.
Bobby

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 02:27:14 pm »
I cut mine on a table saw with a regular blade, not a dado. what I first do is lay two 2x4's about 12" long on both sides of the blade with ridge fence set at 3 1/2 inches from blade, set hive body on the 2x4's centered on saw blade, clamp hive body to ridge fence, start saw and raise saw blade until you hear it hit the hive body, as soon as it touches the wood raise blade just one revolution from that point, then leave blade raised just that one revolution then start turning you angle adjustment all the way till it is at 45 degree's then turn back straight up and raise blade another revolution up and repeat angle like before, it takes my table saw 4 raises to cut factory hand hold. hope this is easier to understand than it was to try to explain.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 06:08:16 pm »
Thanks TWT.
Bobby

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 08:55:08 am »
Twt,

You have any pictures of your table saw setup?  I'm not sure that I can visualize how you have everything clamped.

Thanks!

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 11:12:50 am »
You might check Robo's sight. He's used a cutter head (like for molding) that attaches to your table saw (it has either one or three blade heads). Robo shows how he has his table saw and jig set up. You can use a dado blade or even just the saw blade itself, but there isn't much info (safe way) to do it that way. You can also use a router. Find what works best for you and your budget. Good luck.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 01:06:48 pm »
I always end up just using a 1x2 glued and screwed to the box for handles. The recessed hand holds don't give a comfortable grip for moving 60-90 pound boxes around by fingertips. Plus, if you place them high enough, you can elevate a telescoping cover to create ventilation by removing the inner cover (which I don't use).

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 02:27:48 pm »
I'm with Hardwood on the 1X2 strips...they are much easier to hold...plus, you are left with a bunch of that material anyway when you rip down 1X12's to make deeps or mediums.
-Mike
-Mike

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 04:24:50 pm »
Twt,

You have any pictures of your table saw setup?  I'm not sure that I can visualize how you have everything clamped.

Thanks!

sorry I dont have any picture at this time, maybe soon though....

I'm with Hardwood on the 1X2 strips...they are much easier to hold...plus, you are left with a bunch of that material anyway when you rip down 1X12's to make deeps or mediums.
-Mike

I only use 1x12's for deeps and 1x8's for mediums, handle strips work fine also but the extra pieces from ripped down can be used for all sorts of other equipment, like the top cover, Bottom Boards, entrance reducers, pieces for top feeders, shimes, all kinds of things
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 09:53:31 am »
I use a tablesaw with a molding cutter to make mine

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/building-honey-supers/

I also have a router version with directions on my website courtesy of Jim Hensel

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/hensel-handle-sloping-pocket-handle-for-hive-boxes/

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison