Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are you Apiguard users taking it out of the hive after time is up?  (Read 3021 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Apiguard says to let the second treatment tray sit in the hive until the bees have taken it all out.  Mine is starting to crust over in some and my second treatment time is over.  Do you think it would be O.K. to take it out of the hive now?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Are you Apiguard users taking it out of the hive after time is up?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 08:12:45 am »
should be fine to take out if the time is up. most of the time the bees have chewed the paper and thrown it out the front door before time is up.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 03:29:35 pm »
i have taken mine out.  there was just some crusty stuff left, and most of the smell was gone anyway  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 09:27:28 pm »
I inspected one of my hives today and when I slid out the varroa tray I saw about three live varroa.  This is after the proper treatment time and it surprised me.  Will I have to do a final powdered sugar shake to end the season just to ensure low mite levels? I will do a 24hr count soon.  What should I use for a number over which I p.s. the hive?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 04:51:33 pm »
the treatment will not get all of the mites.  since we are about to go into winter and you will have a definite break in the brood cycle where you live, you probably don't have to worry about it to much.  you probably have a few that are coming in with bees, or have come out of brood....although you should have gotten most of those.

you are  just about done getting into your hives for the winter?  if you get in there again, PS wouldn't do any harm, but i wouldn't lose sleep over it. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 09:39:44 pm »
Yes, the season is winding down in prep for winter here.  Thanks for the reassurance.  I will probably open the hives just to get out the meds and then leave them alone for longer than I'd like to.  It has been a fun spring/summer.

Sincerely,
TWB