Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Info on honey, wax & propolis please  (Read 1965 times)

Offline tanam

• New Bee
Info on honey, wax & propolis please
« on: August 24, 2006, 06:40:54 am »
We are just trying to get started and need some information.  I don't really know what you are supposed to do with the honey once it has been extracted. Does it need heating or is it ready to use?  How much do you need to leave in the hive for the bees?  Do they need more over the winter as food?  Also how do you extract and use wax and propolis?
Many questions that a novice needs answering!  :?
Thanks

Tara

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 07:00:30 am »
once you extrat honey it is ready to use. well you oughta filter it to remove wax particles and stuff like than. and you should put it in a big container for a week or two so it settles-the smaller unwanted particles surface and then you remove them. DO NOT heat the honey.
the more honey you take from bees, the more sugar you have to feed them for winter, and yes they do need alot of honey for winter (well, depends on the winters-->location)

Extractin wax, most people i think don't extract it, it's just that every few years you have to take out the old black combs (health issues) and place new foundations. well those old black combs are waiting for procesing or you can just chuck em' away. to process wax all you need is a big pot. you put some water in it and the combs and heat it, until it melts, when it cools you'll have a nice wax "cake".

Extracting propolis is different, i've seen that some beekeepers put plastic nets over the top cover, so it has a lot of small holes which bees want to close. they put it in in spring and take it out in fall. put it in the freezer for some 15 minutes take it out and just crumble off the propolis. or you can srape it of from everywhere
 :)

Offline tanam

• New Bee
Thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 08:42:48 am »
Thanks for your help.  Things seem a little clearer now!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 12:45:04 am »
Heating honey to a temperature of 155 degrees for a short period and then coling it rapidly is called pastuerization.  Some states require it.  Commercial operations like Sue Bee Does it.  Heating will slow down the crystalization process called sugaring but will not stop it--only delay it.  Heating it also changes the flavor--raw honey tastes better.  Heating can also cause carmelization or scorching which also alters the taste.  If you are selling your honey at Farmer's Markets or roadside stands the best bet is to keep it unheated--raw.  If you are trying to sell it through retail outlets the buyers may require pastuerization.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 12:14:12 am »
I never heat honey.  I don't recommend it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin