Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Food safe spray-on enamel?  (Read 9505 times)

Offline melliphile

• House Bee
Food safe spray-on enamel?
« on: June 04, 2006, 11:02:05 pm »
I've purchased an old A.I. Root extractor.  It's galvanized steel and it's been steam cleaned.  Maybe it's in fair condition( it has a little wear and tear, kind of antique).  But the gears and hardware appear in good shape.  I'd like to use a food safe spray on enamel for the inside and baskets.  I've read that some paints can react with galvanized metals.  Any suggestions on paints? :roll:
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 08:24:07 am »
Camcoat is available from several of the bee keeping suppliers for this purpose.  It is an epoxy paint.  It is NOT an aresol.  I know of no food grade aresol paint.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline cphilip

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 12:53:16 pm »
Even so... you can cut and spray Epoxy... assuming you have the right equipment. Air and pressure regulator and a spray gun. And match the solvent to the product.

But... let me warn you... Epoxy give off a very noxious fume. You would need to wear a activated Charcoal respirator that fits properly and get some good ventilation. It will achieve UEL and LEL fairly quickly. And its not good for you.

Even brushing it on has its exposure issues. The activator drives off the Solvent fairly well... if it didn't it would never dry. But it does fume pretty nasty either way.  Good stuff though when its finaly cured.

Offline melliphile

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 01:14:33 pm »
Thank you, Michael.  I found some plasticote from the good folk's at Kelley.  Suits my needs exactly.  Not terribly expensive either, about $11 a qt.
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato

Offline Joe

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 11:57:31 am »
I just finished up making an extractor myself and have been looking for food grade paints without much success. Thanks to this thread and Michael I have now purchased some Camcote Epoxy Paint from Betterbee. For some reason I can't get Betterbee's website to load right now, but if your interested the item number is EP2.  The plasticote that Melliephile bought can be found here

Offline melliphile

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 12:05:15 am »
For the record, let me correct myself and say that I ordered it from Brushy Mtn.