Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Nucs  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Barry

• House Bee
New Nucs
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:25:14 pm »
Got 2  5 medium frame nucs last week. Was raining girls were testy. I installed them into a 10 frame deep, as I can I will cycle the medium frames out. it's amazing how much more  space bees have on a deep frame then a medium. I have always used deeps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Offline Barry

• House Bee
Re: Re: New Nucs
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:42:10 pm »

Brood in all stages of development. Queens were somewhat restricted in laying, as the medium frames filled up initially with sealed brood, now nectar is coming in and the bees were only today starting to work on the foundation.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: New Nucs
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 12:02:00 am »
Barry,
Congratulations on your new hives. Why not stick with mediums. I originally built deeps and shallow boxes and have been slowly removing the remaining deeps and cutting them down to mediums, boxes and frames. It is really nice to bee able to switch frames up and down in a hive, especially for checker boarding. You can also leave mediums in a deep box and they will build below the frames. I put mediums frames in a deep nuc and then cut the brood comb that is below the frame and place it in a medium frame and make a 8-10 frame medium hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Barry

• House Bee
Re:
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 01:37:50 am »
I have always used deeps, so much more brood space available per frame. likewise when I use them for honey supers I understand the weight Factor, but just like you use mediums to keep everything uniform, I used deeps to keep everything uniform. in the honey supers I pull a frame and let them extend the comb past the side rails free easy  uncapping

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 03:57:11 am »
All deeps works just as well as all mediums.
Are you a member of the Jax Bees Association? If not, consider this a formal invite to join. Meetings are the third Monday of the month, 7:00 PM at the Jax Agricultural Center, 1010 McDuff Ave.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Barry

• House Bee
Re:
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 05:03:06 am »
Inglis is over 120 from Jacksonville

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:36:10 pm »
Congrads Barry!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re:
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 11:18:59 pm »
Inglis is over 120 from Jacksonville

OK, I'm confused. Your location says Orange Park FL. We have a Orange Park here just south of Jacksonville.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 11:36:37 pm »
Best of luck with your new bees Barry.

Joe

Offline Barry

• House Bee
Re:
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 03:27:14 am »
Jim ,
when I first joined this forum I didn't fact live in Orange Park I moved about 2 years ago and never updated the fact that I now live in Inglis, Florida

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re:
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 07:07:14 am »
Jim ,
when I first joined this forum I didn't fact live in Orange Park I moved about 2 years ago and never updated the fact that I now live in Inglis, Florida

OK, now I understand. You can go to the profile tab and change it.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline beesNme

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 10:07:13 am »
nice  :) to see. congrats barry !!!

anything