Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where to buy German Black Bees  (Read 39094 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: Where to buy German Black Bees
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 06:37:25 am »

Hey wait a minute! That is what I do. I don't treat. I pull almost all my queens, and make splits all summer. Highest mite count in the past three years by state inspectors was 2! But do I market "Mite resistant" bees...No! Why...because many things go into having bees deal with mites. Bees don't do it themselves. At least not yet.

give us some examples of the things that go into having bees deal with mites without pulling queens or manipulating, I dont understand this statement? are you saying they can't survive without some kind of manipulation?

Bjorn have you changed your site recently? looks real good!!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 06:51:40 am by TwT »
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 10:07:02 am »
Contact me 11,
 After all this,I guess the real answer is you are not going to buy them commercially.You will have to be satisfied with"alleged" or unproven strains. Not to say they don't exist,but they are not commercially available it seems.
 I would look through the commercially available queens with the traits that appeal to what you desire and purchase one of those,unless you are able to get a split from someones bees that carry the trait you are looking for. Good Luck in finding what you want.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 10:46:56 am »

Hey wait a minute! That is what I do. I don't treat. I pull almost all my queens, and make splits all summer. Highest mite count in the past three years by state inspectors was 2! But do I market "Mite resistant" bees...No! Why...because many things go into having bees deal with mites. Bees don't do it themselves. At least not yet.

give us some examples of the things that go into having bees deal with mites without pulling queens or manipulating, I dont understand this statement? are you saying they can't survive without some kind of manipulation?

Bjorn have you changed your site recently? looks real good!!!

Ted, my comments were made to say that nobody has bees, that they can shake into a three pound package, then market those bees as mite resistant and able to deal with mites due to solely genetic reasoning. Handing someone a package, then saying "These bees are mite resistant...as long as you do everything I do to keep them alive" is not the same thing as claiming mite resistant bees.

If we are looking at millions of colonies, yes, there are hives that seemingly are mite resistant. Those people who are using mechanical manipulation, and unique equipment options perhaps see hives succeed on a higher level. But as soon as those bees are not continued to be manipulated, they seem far less mite resistant.

Thanks for the comments on the website.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 11:00:12 am »
Contact me 11,
 After all this,I guess the real answer is you are not going to buy them commercially.You will have to be satisfied with"alleged" or unproven strains. Not to say they don't exist,but they are not commercially available it seems.
 I would look through the commercially available queens with the traits that appeal to what you desire and purchase one of those,unless you are able to get a split from someones bees that carry the trait you are looking for. Good Luck in finding what you want.

I agree with what you say. And I do actually think that many have better bees than others, and overall we have better bees than we did ten years ago.
My rub, is those who claim to have mite resistant bees. One hive, or a particular beekeeper having success on a individual local level, is a far cry from the mainstream bee industry being able to claim a strain of bees that are totally mite resistant. I think we have heard the term "Mite Resistant" from so many beekeepers, for so many reasons, that we are beginning to believe this to be fact. In fact, I hear there are some well documented reports proving mite resistant bees. ;) I have seen none.

I have beekeepers call me, and ask for "Mite resistant bees" all the time. They think if they get Russians, or from a "natural" beekeeper, or from someone who does not use chemicals, that they can simply order those same bees, drop them into a hive, and they will never have to worry about mites ever again. And that is absolutely wrong to perpetuate these type urban legend false claims that seem to have taken hold within the industry. It is not true that that can be accomplished at this time. But some are selling that concept.

I spend much time talking to beekeepers explaining what goes into keeping bees without chemicals. And letting them know first and right up front, that buying one persons bees or another person's bees, will not allow them to place those bees in a hive and expect to never have mite problems. I buy craploads of bees from other people. Some from this site, and I have never yet to see anyone have bees being totally and completely mite resistant.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 10:07:58 pm »
Mite resistant is not the same as mite proof. If a bee forcefully removes one mite from the hive, that hive is mite resistant. Now you can discuss the degree of resistance.
I think Bjorn is saying there are no mite "proof" bees. I think all bees are mite resistant, just not to the degree of maintaining a healthy hive.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline dupa240

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 12:19:01 am »
I purchased two Nucs from a friend that lives around Amish country, one had a black queen (I imagine from black drones from some Amish hive)  the hive grew to half black with all black drones.  They are meaner than heck.  I had to move them away from the others so I could work the others.  I think they are a hybrid from German Blacks.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 12:18:19 pm »
Id have to say if someone had the perfect mite resistent bee they would be famous  and have lots of money from the government and the bee labs testing and if so they would be breeding these traits and giving them to all beekeepers to help save the dying honey bees.  I due believe there is better mite resistantance than others but to the point of self efficentcy id have to agree with Mike its not out there.

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 07:01:14 pm »
Has anyone studied or done field trials with the AMM or German Black Bee and the SHB?
Sirach

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 10:15:59 pm »
Dr. Russell works with a strain of AMM. He also periodically discusses their uses, such as ability to "survive." A very interesting strain, although clearly not the answer to most problems.

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 11:14:20 pm »
BjornBee.......I am sorry but I can make the claim that I have a small number of bees that are totally mite resistant.  These bees are resistant too all the perils that befall all beekeepers but there numbers are small, only about 500 or so.  I will be glad to share them with you, then you can have some or your very own truely mite resistant bees.   :delivery:

Oh by the way......... they reside in a quart of 180 proof corn squeezings!
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 05:16:11 pm »
BjornBee.......I am sorry but I can make the claim that I have a small number of bees that are totally mite resistant.  These bees are resistant too all the perils that befall all beekeepers but there numbers are small, only about 500 or so.  I will be glad to share them with you, then you can have some or your very own truely mite resistant bees.   :delivery:

Oh by the way......... they reside in a quart of 180 proof corn squeezings!

:lau:  I liked that!

After several years of banging my head, I give up. I'm changing over to a "consumer satisfaction action plan" as the consumer demands. You want mite resistant bees....I got them! You want German black bees.....I got them! We have bees from 163 different nations. You want magical smallcell bees that will make all your problems go away.....I got them. New for 2012...I even have CCD resistant bees. You want 150 pounds of honey per year....I got them bees. You want bees that do not swarm....I got that too! I've got bees that will respond to tanging, will not sting, and will not abscond. I got queens that will last for at least four years. And I got bees that can cleanse themselves of any and all pesticides and poison. I got bees that will not drink from your neighbors pool. I got bees that will send that bear a packing. You tell me your problem....I'll find a queen for whatever you need.

Whatever you want...anything at all....just ask. I'm committed to customer satisfaction. You want it..I got it. All designed to give you the warm fuzzy feeling. I honor all other competitors claims and aim to beat any and all other marketing. Let us do the work for you. Afterall, who wants to actually do anything but buy a solution in a bottle.  

Just let us know what you want, so we have enough time to change what label to put on the package.  :roll: We have a label...I mean bee, for every desire.  :roll:

Most beekeepers market one or two problem solving bees. Here at Bjorn Apiaries, we are the Brother Adam of the 21st century. We have collected bees from all the other breeders, bred them together, and are now producing the first super...oh wait, a few other call their bees "super".....let me see. Hmmm what to call them? I know....ApexApic Bees.  ;)  (apexapic bees.....copyright 2012 Bjorn Apiaries, all rights reserved)

Just have your credit card available when you call.  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 07:57:05 pm »
Troll !

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 08:08:05 pm »
Troll !

I've been called that and much worse...... :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 10:01:35 pm »
Didn't mean you !

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 10:15:51 pm »
Funny thing is, I actually liked the name Bjorn, lol. Although I would call it ApexEpic Bees.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 10:23:06 pm »
Didn't mean you !

Can you make it about me?

Much more interesting that way. :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 10:37:26 pm »
Mike, I'm not gonna be the one that starts it back up again. Nope not me !!!

Offline SEEYA

• House Bee
  • Poke a meek dog enough times.........!
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2012, 11:00:15 am »
>>Where to buy German Black Bees

check Russell's Website -  they list German bees
Live long and prosper!

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 11:13:53 am »
How about normal bees and a can of black spray paint.  Heck, you could make them any color you want.... :-P

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 10:29:33 pm »
Didn't mean you !

Can you make it about me?

Much more interesting that way. :-D
Some people want all the attention.