Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fermented Honey & Spring Questions  (Read 2683 times)

Offline fiveson

• New Bee
Fermented Honey & Spring Questions
« on: January 30, 2005, 09:11:56 pm »
I understand that I can re use any leftover honey this spring if my bees dont make it overwintering. I am going to start two hives from packages. Here are my questions:

I read I can use the honey if it has not fermented - do I taste it!? Or is it just the uncapped that would be fermented?

If there is mostly capped - and some fermented - can I get rid of the uncapped (presumably fermented) and still use the capped?

How do I do the above?

Do I need to scratch the caps of capped honey for the girls - or can they figure that part out?

What if there is dead brrod comb from the autumn - same thing?

How critical is it to give supplemental pollen in the Spring?

Thanks

Rob
The Pleasures Of Love Lasts but a fleeting
But the pledges of life
Outlust a lifetime

(J Joyce)

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Fermented Honey & Spring Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 10:47:55 pm »
Dont taste it lol, if it is uncapped it should be fermented. You can use the capped but I am not shure how to get frid of the fermented. They will know to uncap the honey and use it. And get rid of the dead brood and put in a new frame with foundation. I have seen people go without giving pollen but I myslef would give them at least some. bye
Ryan Horn

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Fermented Honey & Spring Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 05:09:59 am »
Quote from: fiveson
I understand that I can re use any leftover honey this spring if my bees dont make it overwintering. I am going to start two hives from packages. Here are my questions:

I read I can use the honey if it has not fermented - do I taste it!? Or is it just the uncapped that would be fermented?

Rob

If open honey is fermented, you will smell is. It also has bubbles inside cell or molt.

When I gived fermented honey to bees which were in queen cage, they all were dead  next day.

You can spray water from watering hose and wash the fermented cells.  Give a chock uppside down to frame, and water will escape from cells. Again spray and shock the frame.  

Then broke capping and also on the honey you can give water that crystals dilute better.  But water is better to give next day when bees have sucked liquid  part of honey. When you fill cells with water, it is easy to bees to dilute crystals.

If you don't play with water, they may carry  most of  honey crystals out as rubbish.  - It is very quick to do so.

But don't give honey when it is honeyflow on field. Bees cap old honey again.